Welding over factory welds on subframe

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Default Welding over factory welds on subframe

Hello everyone, I have the subframe out of our 69 Camaro convertible and have had it sandblasted. I plan to get it powdercoated once we fix some minor damage, and have been debating on whether or not to redo some of the factory welds on the frame. They seem like pretty poor welds, so I wanted to see how many people have went ahead and welded over the factory welds, and how you did it.

All I have is a MIG welder, so no fancy TIG welds for me. I'm mainly concerned with the welds that box the frame together. Most likely not a critical issue, but I thought at least some stitch welds down the seams couldn't hurt. The only reason I doubt doing it is in case it could some how lower the value of the car. Some people seem awful picky when restoring these cars!

Thanks for any info.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
jno
In the Staging Lanes

I did repair the welds on my subframe. The factory welds looked like they were done by a 5yr old. I am not going for a 100% factory restoration, so I figured the extra security of good welds, outweighed any "cosmetic" issues.
I ground off all of the spatter, ground down the welds, and put a bunch of beads on where there weren't any. I didn't weld the entire seam completely, (like some people do) but I did add a bunch where there weren't any. I also used a MIG, and it came out great. (gas, not flux core)