Newbie, building a 68 Camaro for my bro-in-law in Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Newbie, building a 68 Camaro for my bro-in-law in Iraq

No pictures, but just wanted to give you all a quick update. We're working on the templates for the rear trunk and seat area. We've got them almost finished up. Shawn's brothers are getting some sheetmetal so we can fab them up and get the trunk in the car.

Also did some more work getting the front fenders cleaned up. The passenger side is good and we're going to use it.

The driver's side, however........is TOAST. I got to the point where I was about to weld in some new metal for the hole I found, but decided to do some further grinding to see if there was anything else. What I found was about 1/4" of bondo and a severe smack in the front part of the fender that was VERY well hidden with bondo. They even smoothed the BACK of the fender to make it look ok.

So if anyone has one standard driver's fender we can use, or two RS fenders, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

We're also going to be using Scorpion coating on the underside and firewall of the car. I have a new business starting up once the Camaro is finished, Triangle Specialty Coatings, and I'm going to be the Raleigh area OEM for Scorpion, so I am going to colormatch the undercoating and then spray the firewall black. Should turn out really cool and show off what Scorpion is all about! Hopefully I'll get all my training done and my dealer package in so I can start on the car as soon as the trunk is finished up!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM

What a great idea!! I have a brother serving over in Iraq also. I would love to try and do this for him, how did you get started? Can you please tell me who got you started in this and how I can do the same for him??

Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

update please.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

wow dont you feel like an archiologist with all the digging for bondo?...lol. I know we did for a long time. Still discovering parts that you think are good are bent and cant use them. Keep up the good work man.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Since it has been forever and I don't want you guys to think it was dead.

We had a little change of plans. The project was dragging on and on, and really was going nowhere. We still had a lot of money to spend on the LS1/T56 swap and then the guy who had donated the T56 sold it out from under us. Rather than spend $1k on a trans that needed a rebuild, and then have to buy all the expensive swap parts, we've decided to sell off the LS1 and T56 parts and go with an old-school 327 and Super T-10 4-spd.

A local serviceman heard we needed an engine, so he gave us a complete running 350 and 700R4. HRT Performance is going to turn it into one mean little 327. We sold off some of the LS1 parts and bought a rebuilt Super T-10 4-spd that is headed our way now. A guy came by the house to pick up some parts and heard we decided to go to a 4-spd, so he gave us a 4-spd crossmember and driveshaft.

All we need now for the swap is a 4-spd bellhousing and the shifter and linkage. All we really need for the engine is an oil pan, good intake and a good carburetor.

We are headed in the right direction and can see real progress for the first time in a while. And do not worry, any sponsor donated parts we have will be sold and a comparable replacement for the new drivetrain will be bought from the sponsor. We will make sure all of our sponsors are taken care of and will do everything we can to make this project come to fruition!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The new engine is sitting in the back of the truck right now, headed to HRT to begin the build tomorrow!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  IMG_2519.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  75.5 KB

Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Name:  cam.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  26.4 KB

Crappy cell pic, it came to work and I took a pic before I took it over to HRT.

286HR Magnum cam, springs, locks and retainers thanks to Comp!

And yes, my office is a mess.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the new axle in the car finally! 12-bolt with 3.55 gears and an Auburn posi, new axle shafts, etc. I converted it to LS1 brakes, too.

Name:  IMG_2521.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2522.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2523.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  49.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2526.jpg
Size:  43.2 KB

Old 09-22-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Transmission is here! Super T-10 4-spd, SPEC traded out the T56 clutch and flywheel they donated for a ST-10 clutch and flywheel, and Hogshead Trans Am parts donated a bell housing. I'm working on Hurst to see if they'll hook us up with a shifter and linkage, should find out tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_2527.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB

We had a good week with the project. ARP donated all the engine bolts, Flowmaster donated a complete exhaust system, Harland Sharp donated a set of 1.6 roller rockers, EPN donated a set of stainless 2.02/1.60 valves, and I'm working on a few header companies to see what we can score there.

IT IS COMING TOGETHER!

Quick Reply: Newbie, building a 68 Camaro for my bro-in-law in Iraq