The Impossible 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Default The Impossible 69 Camaro

I am not sure what else to call it, other than my impossible project. It was a 69 Camaro my parents had. I remember riding it a few times as a wee young lad. It was then parked in a farm field and the interior was stripped. I finally have a place of my own and space to work on it, so I dug it out of the barn where it had been eventually moved.
Specs as I know them now
Rochester 2 barrel
307 V8
2 speed automatic

The Bad
The floor pan is shot. I mean you could almost run this thing Flintstones style.
The trunk pan is probably worse, passenger side leaf spring is poking through the trunk.
Tried pulling the pugs for giggles, Spark plug shank had rusted so bad that it broke and only the porcelain came out

The Good
Not much, I mean the interior was stripped so less crap to remove?

Tentative plan is a resto mod, hope I can save it

Here are some pics

Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM

wow! what a find. it must be sentimental being it was your parents.
did you decide any more on what youre going to do?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the interest. I am going to strip it down and then have the shell blasted to see what metal is left. Here is a pic of current state as I get all the parts off. (yeah I know I went a little nuts labeling things, but I figure better to do that then be scratching my head later .

Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Well We've seen worse resurrected, good luck and keep us posted. PS: I'd toss that boat anchor 307,not worth trying to save it.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Yeah the current plan is the engine and transmission are definitely going to get replaced. Going to stick with a small block of some type.

My approaching challenge is how to make sure the body shell doesn't flex too much when I remove the drive train and front sub frame. For now I am leaving the doors on to help. But going to look at the 4 jack stand method and see if its solid enough in those places to support it.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 PM

Thanks to everyone for following along. Still plugging away. I am going to have to start finding places to put all the parts I am taking off.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Ok front clip removed, a few bits of wiring harness left to unplug... Trying to figure out what to tackle next. (And also where to put parts!! )

Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just my opinion but if you are going to rebuild it you need a jig. This is a table that you use to set positions of feature to insure the car is flat and square. I would not be 100% sure its that way now. You really should look at a dynacorn replacement body, Every piece of metal I can see needs replaced. That is a lot of cost in replacement parts and a lot of places to make a mistake. The fire wall ties to the rockers and that is the most structural part of the car. If you send that car to be dipped in acid or blasted there will not be much left.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Just my opinion but if you are going to rebuild it you need a jig. This is a table that you use to set positions of feature to insure the car is flat and square. I would not be 100% sure its that way now. You really should look at a dynacorn replacement body, Every piece of metal I can see needs replaced. That is a lot of cost in replacement parts and a lot of places to make a mistake. The fire wall ties to the rockers and that is the most structural part of the car. If you send that car to be dipped in acid or blasted there will not be much left.
No doubt that would be the best way to go,it's not cheap but neither is piecing it together when it's that far gone and you'll save a huge amount of time along with getting a better job and eliminating the possibility of a disaster and starting over.
Dynacorn Camaro Body Shell

Old 05-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I watched a Car show one time were they interviewed a guy who owns a walnut blasting company. He said that about 15% of the cars he blasts get scraped. He said one of them was a 69 camaro that was bought as a driver off ebay. There had been so many "cover ups" over its 50 year life that after the blast there was not a single panel that did not need work. IMO walnut blaster will remove the least a amount of good metal with the exception of some of the rust dissolvers, I never seen anyone do a whole car in rust dissolvers. Problem with the dissolvers is that they wont remove dirt, paint or body filler.