'68 'Maro Basic to Beast Build

Old 12-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Default '68 'Maro Basic to Beast Build

So, my 68 basic currently sports a mono leaf with non-posi rear end. I'm thinking of going the LS route on motor with the hopes of clearing 500hp that drives well on the HWY, with the ability to "get it" from the stop signs.

Question is; is it more cost effective to find a donor rearend (not sure of year or model), or more cost effective to purchase a posi unit and disc conversion (not sure of type, ratio, etc...)

Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 AM

If your going to spend the time and money on the LS conversion the last thing you want is a weak, used/donor rear end. IMO that is not the place to save a few bucks. There are always places to save a few bucks in a car build, but everything is based off of the drive train that you start with.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 AM

Thanks Radjack for the feedback. After doing some online "homework" I totally agree with you. Now if I could just figure out the best setup.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:59 PM

There are literally a million combinations for a drive train, all depends on your budget and what you want the car for. And even after you answer all the tough questions, there will be a lot of choices.
There isn't a right or wrong answer, go with your gut (and wallet) and be happy about your choices. There is always going to be a more expensive, faster etc... car out there so just find something that works for you and go with it.
I would be more worried with quality of the parts/quality of install.

My 68 has a 6Liter LS, Tremec T56 tranny, 9" rear end...Its in the 500-550hp range.
No complaints so far...

Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM

It comes down to how your going to use it and traction. Your going to be making considerable horse power so having matching strong components would be a priority. Most late model transmissions T56/ 4L60 or whatever will handle it. The rear diff sounds like a 6cylender special with the monolef set up. It is not going to be anything special but should run you a while as long as you don't side step the clutch or put drag radials on and get too much traction. You can build it to handle the power but for a bit more a 12 bolt or 9" will serve you better. You should go with 3.50-3.70 gears if you have an overdrive trans. My current set up is very week in the trans and rear diff...I know this ahead of time and will be working that out as I go but will be enjoying it and smoking the tires until then! ��

Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Although I'm a GM guy from birth, I am a huge fan of the Ford 9", if for no other reason than it's a breeze to work on - don't have to lay underneath the car trying to get the gear tooth pattern right, or remove the entire rear end to work on it. Just pop the axles and the 3rd member, and do everything to it right on the bench. Gear changes are a more simple project.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Well a new Moser 9" would be best but you might find a used GM 12 bolt in good shape for a lot less with some looking around or maybe at a swap meet. First gen Camaro and '68-'72 Nova are the same.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Well, it's been 24mos and yes the Maro is sitting exactly as it was 24mos ago. Maybe not exactly the same. I installed the rear disc conversion, added multi-leaf suspension, powder coated the subframe and suspension, added new tie-rods, ball joints, bushings, and upgraded the front swaybar. More pics to come.....

So now its time to get this darn thing completed (per my wife).
So get ready for the questions. And thanks in advance for all your input.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice !!!

Old 10-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Default Let's get started.

First off, Thanks Everett#2390. I'm really hoping the finished project performs as well as the subframe looks. So I'm having an LS built in either a 5.3 or 5.7 block backed up to a 4l60e. Will any 4l60e work? Do I need a certain year depending on if it's a 5.3 or 5.7?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '68 'Maro Basic to Beast Build