67 SS/RS “Ned”

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Default 67 SS/RS “Ned”

Bought Ned October 2015 from original owners family in Duarte, CA. Ned (the original owner) bought the car new, SS /RS 350 with all the bells and whistles, in butternut yellow and vinyl top. Ned later divorced his wife and money was tight. He was pinned with the choice of keeping the Camaro or the apartment lease... he picked the Camaro and proceeded to live in it for 20 years around various parks in Southern California. He passed and the kids ended up with the car, sans paperwork and in pretty horrible shape but a running survivor car nonetheless. Ned didn’t have much money being homeless so the motor was swapped out with a runner from a 70 ish c10 truck. I was lucky enough to find a numbers matching block which is in the shop now. I made a post on the engine build in the engine section of this forum.

I bought the car and immediately realized lots of rust in unusual spots which made sense after they told me the story of their dad living in the car. When I was on the test drive, the aunt told me Ned had died in the drivers seat and laughed. I was very uncomfortable with that to say the least...
The car has been sloooowly getting TLC it needs, ground up, frame off restoration by a very patient, seasoned, talented old steel type body guy who happens to be a friend and shares the passion of the project. I’ll post as much as I have and keep updating, should be exciting as we are completing the heavy lifting stage and have all the parts ready to go to assemble, well mostly. He’s been able to save most of the original steel. Only welding in what was needed aside from the truck deck and door skins which needed all new panels.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Stage 1 tear down