Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   67-69 Interior (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-interior-114/)
-   -   sound deadener ? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-interior-114/sound-deadener-74438/)

harley rider 05-31-2013 02:44 PM

sound deadener ?

the 68 I am working on came with a sound deadener fit. my question is does it go paper side up or down. or are you using modern sound deadener like fat mat or dynamat products

77thor 05-31-2013 06:34 PM

I assume this is on the floor, then it's paper side up...
I am installing Dynamat Extreme...
Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9) : Amazon.com : Automotive

harley rider 06-06-2013 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 77thor (Post 671579)
I assume this is on the floor, then it's paper side up...
I am installing Dynamat Extreme...
Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9) : Amazon.com : Automotive

are you replacing the jute firewall pad with that also?

77thor 06-06-2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by harley rider (Post 672239)
are you replacing the jute firewall pad with that also?

Yes, I am.

harley rider 06-07-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 77thor (Post 672256)
Yes, I am.

thanks for the input. I am going to do the same thing .had to convince the owner this would be better. I found another brand called GTMAT that is 80 mill for the fire wall .and some regular 50 mill FATMAT for the floor.

6t9sscamaro 08-07-2013 10:36 AM

I made mine even quitter by using the Dynamat with the original jute type padding on top. I also put the Dynamat on top of the rear inner fender wells, under the rear seat and in the doors. That makes for a very nice and quiet ride!

harley rider 08-08-2013 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 6t9sscamaro (Post 676813)
I made mine even quitter by using the Dynamat with the original jute type padding on top. I also put the Dynamat on top of the rear inner fender wells, under the rear seat and in the doors. That makes for a very nice and quiet ride!

I did that too.not the doors though.

gbauer 12-27-2013 03:10 PM

Older thread but I just went through this one myself.

Pulled the entire interior out to patch some rust spots in the floor, sealed it up, POR'd it, and layed down sound deadener through the whole interior. I bought 50 sq ft of GTmat on ebay for about $100 shipped. It's 80 Mil and went down easily enough. Make sure the car is warm inside and out when you do it because one of my doors wasn't warm enough and the mat fell inside when I took it out for the test drive (and stuck to the window. Darn near impossible to get off and re-apply in the right spot!).

It was about 1/2 the price of Dynamat for the same thickness and amount. I did it for two reasons: noise and insulation. It worked well for both. The car is significantly less noisey and the floor hump doesn't get hot anymore like it used to.

I covered the floor entirely, did the inside of the outer door skin, the quarter panels inside the outer skin in the passenger compartment, and replaced the factory panel board behind the rear seat with a piece of 1/4" wood covered with the stuff on the side facing the seat. No more squeeks, rattles or drones. If I ever remove the headliner I'll be sure to hit that area as well.

Probably the biggest improvement to the comfort of the car I've done to date. Highly recommend it for the cost.

flat tire 12-29-2013 10:21 AM

I used rubber roofing from a local company that was as thick if not more than the gt mat rubber they offered.
I used a can or two of 3 m spray adhesive to fasten the rubber then used the factory sound deadener on top of that
watch using an asphalt product, you may be stuck with an odor you cant get rid of

gbauer 12-29-2013 07:18 PM

so far there hasn't been any odor. that said it's only been a week but i did drive it yesterday for a couple of hours and didn't have any smell.