will these both fit in a 69 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Question will these both fit in a 69 Camaro?

Hi all,
I found this forum through google, trying to get information about installing Uni Steer power rack and pinion in conjuction with a set of tall deck 572 Dynatech headers on a 69 Camaro. I wonder if they will fit without interference?
Off to the search database. This might take a while!
Carl

Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

dont keep posting that over and over or someone will get mad, you will get a response as soon as either GORN or CAMARO 69 are on, no one on knows right now so just hold tight man

Last edited by DarkKnight; 02-18-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not to sound like a smartass, but Dynatech would be the one to ask. Unless someone here has a 69 with r&p steering and Dynatech headers (which I know of nobody here), all you'll be getting as an answer is guesses and opinions. You need hard facts.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Thank You for both of Your responses.

I changed my first post so as to not make anyone mad.

I have spoke with Dynatech and with Unisteer, neither can offer hard facts due to neither knowing of someone trying to install both in one car.
Carl

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

sounds like you need to bite bullet, get them, and try it, ive been in that spot before

Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"Have Sawzall Will Travel".
You can be our guinea pig then. Just be sure to report back on how it all fits.
I would like to eventually convert my steering over to r&p, but I'm running the FlowTech Afterburner headers.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
sounds like you need to bite bullet, get them, and try it, ive been in that spot before
I hear what You are saying. My situation is somewhat different than it looks. Iam a distributor for both Dynatech and Unisteer, I have a customer in Australia that wants to do this combination, I'm trying to avoid sending a customer a combination that won't work. Just the freight costs exceeds the price of the products.
Hope the forums doesn't mind helping a distributor that is trying to avoid sending a customer a mess.
Carl

Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by tallwelder
Hope the forums doesn't mind helping a distributor that is trying to avoid sending a customer a mess.
Carl
Not as long as you offer free samples. Hey, someone here may even be willing to do the r&d for you then.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Wow, talk about me being the stupid one here, I just learned something!

I've got a 68 with a set of Hooker's and they are right against my steering box and I saw a Rack and Pinion conversion @ Ricks Classic Camaro for $1,000 on Monday that I was entertaining the idea of purchasing. Looking at the picture, I assumed (key word assumed) that I would gain clearance from the headers since the steering rod was skinnier than the original steering box.

I know assuming is dangerous, but I would have never thought and I don't want to run into that kind of a problem.

I guess what I don't understand, is where would the two hit?

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question for some, but I"m not seeing it and yes, I know the picture isn't a stock frame, but the rack an pinion, wouldn't it mount on a stock frame in the same place? What am I missing?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That subframe is designed and built around a rack & pinion setup. Take a look at a stock subframe, and the placement of the steering arms on the spindles. A replacement using stock spindles would require the rack & pinion unit to be behind the subframe crossmember, not in front of it.

Name:  Camaro1stgenSubframe.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  64.2 KB

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.