Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Default Where to start?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I inherited my 1967 Camaro from my father when I was 3 years old, don't wanna bug you with any long stories but basically it has been sitting in the garage for 18 years and I have no idea where to start. Still has gas in it from 18 years ago so I'm guessing I should start there. But I have a couple other questions if anyone knows?

Can anyone tell what engine is in this camaro from my pictures? I know it's not the original because nothing on this car is. I don't figure anyone can but does anyone know how i can tell with further inspection?

After the gas tank is drained where should I start? Here's the things I have completed on it.

New battery
Oil change
Risloned the cylinders
New spark plugs
Carburator rebuilt (quadrajet)

That's all i have done so far, it runs alright right now. But what major ovehauling should I start on for summer? want to have it mechanically sound by the end of summer.

I know that's a lot to answer and this is a huge post but if anyone can answer any part of it I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks guys, can't wait to get to know everyone better!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i don't see any pics of a motor?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by whammer3024
i don't see any pics of a motor?
Try here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/members/cdbrissey-15674-albums-camaro-116/

Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 PM

Saw the pics in your album. (To others just click on his avatar) It looks like you may have an original small block. Original era anyways from the oil fill at the front of the valve cover. Should be a block of metal sticking out on the front right side of the engine block, wipe it off and see if any numbers match your vin number. The motor would be a 327 or 350. You have SS badging and an SS hood, but those SS hood louvers are from a 68 or 69. If it is an original SS that motor would be a 350 if its original. Nice job!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Also, in the engine compartment there is a metal rectangle on the drivers side of the fire wall. Copy it in order on paper and go here... www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-trim-tag-decode.asp
Should help you to know if its an original SS and what options it came with.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM

Awesome! I'll go home and do that tonight. Thanks so much guys. I'll post some info on how origianl it is when I find out!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

What do you mean by 'risloned' the cylinders?

Looking at the deck/trunk lid, is that shading in the dust or are those racing stripes peeking out?

You will also need to clean out/purge the fuel lines.

Did you change out all the filters? I have a feeling that the oil and fuel filters are pretty tired after sitting for 18 years.

Also check the coolant. It might need to be changed out as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Smile Awesome

Thanks CPLThomas! Give me some projects for the upcoming weekends. Rislone is like a cylinder lubricant, it hadn't been started in 18 years and i wanted to hear it fire so i sprayed that in each cylinder and put new plugs in, poured a little gas in the top of the carburator and started her.

here's what i know about the car so far from the awesome help you guys have given with the codes

v8 coupe van nuys 3296th made

made 3rd week of sept, 1967 model, sport coupe standard interior

blue standard bucket seats

marina blue originally

tinted windshield option

powerglide transmission (th400?)

originally 327 v8

Thanks for all your help with this part guys, it's amazing to think this was my dad's first car and those are the options he picked! Means alot to me cause he couldn't tell me himself

Now for the engine, any idea where the identiying marks would be on this engine? My mother said she knows for a fact he changed the engine and transmission once, she said she thinks it's a 396 but i told her that is a big block engine, i think it might be a small block 400? is this possible? when i get it torn down a little more i will shoot some more pictures so you guys can see the engine and tranny in good light and clean.

thanks again guys, means alot to me.

p.s. does the 327 mean it was originally a RS camaro? How exactly do you tell the difference between SS and RS? Is it just engine size?

Last edited by cdbrissey; 02-20-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The RS package could be ordered on any Camaro, and was essentially an appearance package. 15" rims, different tail-lights, RS badging if it didn't have Z/28 or SS badging, hideaway headlights... I think there was more but I've honestly forgotten.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Default Numbers!

Ok guys, here are the numbers i found on the engine, it's definitely not a chevy engine! haha

14s416816 v0122clc

in that positioning. I'm going to do some googling to find out but if anyone knows please feel free!

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Where to start?