Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   67-69 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/)
-   -   Wheels (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/wheels-58022/)

brunk5 01-03-2011 09:57 PM

Wheels

I have been doing some research lately and I haven't been able to find this information. I have a 68 convertable that has 15x7 rims on it. From what I have looked up, this is the standard size for a Z28 wheels. My question to whoever knows is what is the largest (more specifically widest) wheel you can put on it without any rubbing?

Thanks,
Joseph

shevrolay 01-04-2011 09:52 AM

Need a little more info: Drums or Discs? Are you willing to utilize spacers? Are you looking into going with a taller wheel like a 17 inch?

I used to have some 14 inch rally wheels (4 inch offset???) in front on drum brakes and 7 inches is about the max in the front. And that was using a 3/8 inch spacer, without it the outer tie rod would groove into the tire sidewall if I had the wheel cranked over. In the rear I once tried a 9.5 inch and it rubbed on the backside of the fender wall.

Too me it was all a poor design so I sold those wheels, dumped the 4-wheel drum death set-up, swapped in some Baer Pro & Track Series Discs and covered them with 17 x 7 Torque Thrust II in the front and 17 x 8's in the back.

brunk5 01-04-2011 01:53 PM

The front are discs and the rear drums. You asked if I am willing to use spacers? I don't believe I have ever seen such a thing, so I'll say no for now. I would like to see a picture of your 17's to see how they look.

You answered most of my questions with the sizes you chose. But where would a 3/8" spacer be located? Each of the 5 posts?

Thanks,
Joseph

shevrolay 01-04-2011 03:27 PM

Here is random link to show you what "spacers" are:

http://www.fswerks.com/spacers.htm

If you wanna take a look at my ride just click on my Nickname, then on "View Public Profile" then on the right side of my profile click on to my album.

I love this set-up!

brunk5 01-04-2011 06:18 PM

I like how the wheels fill out the wells. I'm not sure how I feel about the lower profile tires. Have you noticed any performance differences, aside from clearances, over the 14's?

shevrolay 01-10-2011 04:44 PM

Yes and no, with that I mean the wheel width are the same but the tires are wider due to stepping down a series. As well I used to have the old Rallys wrapped in BFG Rubber, but the new wheel are wrapped in Kumhos.

All in all the Kumho tires are real road grabbers especially diving into corners. You do have to be careful about profile size with wheel like Torque Thrust II, a bad pothole will warp your wheel.

Adding the 4-wheel Baer Disc Set-up was like night and day in the performance department compared to 4-wheel o.e.m. drums. The one thing that is convenient about the 4-wheel drum set-up is you can review your entire life everytime you have to lock up the brakes.

I know of a half dozen times where I watched my life pass by in a matter of seconds!

Camaro 69 01-10-2011 04:58 PM

^ Don't forget all the trashed underwear you were going through too. That adds up.

brunk5 01-10-2011 08:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You drove right on into the next topic. Brakes. The last owner put disks on the front, but never got the car back together. He gave me all his parts and I have two of some parts (he had another camaro and firebird) but for the brakes I have two different master cylinders. Only one appears to be a deep well.

Attachment 29748
Attachment 29749

There is no power assist diaphram. I will likely put on what I have and upgrade later, assuming I don't have to buy any parts. The problem is that i don't know the operating condition of both of these master cylinders. Both have been sitting in my garage for many years in the same condition the picture shows. Are there any internal rubber seals to dry up?

I am a do-it-yourself type person. I learn a lot that way, but when it comes to the brakes I will sacrifice my education for safety. I get the feeling that there will be responses of just get new stuff, and if funds were readily available, I would do just that. In the mean time, are there some less expensive, and likely more time consuming, options that are just as safe?

Camaro 69 01-10-2011 08:53 PM

That second master of yours looks pretty nasty, you could have a sealing problem with the flare on that one.
I'd just get new stuff, if funds were readily available. Man, that rings a bell.
New is about $85-90, a rebuild kit is $25. Plus shipping on either.
http://www.classicindustries.com/con...&currentPage=2

burnt68 01-11-2011 08:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the nice thing about 68`s is the large rear wheel wells!!! with a little longer shackle at the rear and a descent shock a nice set of 295/50/15 tires fit just fine without rubbing on a 10 inch wide tire. see here
Attachment 29744
Attachment 29745
Attachment 29746