Whats it worth? might sell my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Default Whats it worth? might sell my car

Hey all I have a 1969 Camaro. Its a base model V8 4bbl car, delux interior, argent red is the normal color, vinyl top, single traction rear, automatic on the column, mono-leaf rear suspension.

The car runs and I believe it has the original engine in it. I pulled the valve covers and the heads are 1969 only, the number on the block if I recall were 1969 only as well. It says the block was used for passenger cars and 302 Z28 cars. How much of these I believe I dont know. The other thing is I ran the numbers for the engine and something else came back funny. Apparently this engine was only available in 4% of the Camaro's in 1969, most of which were 4-speeds and most had posi rears and multi leaf rear springs. I cant remember the engine code, I will try to find the article I pulled up on the engine.From what I can remember it was the replacement for the 327 in the years prior. I do remember that the difference between this engine and the SS 350 is the intake, carb and heads (remember I am going off memory) and this car was a "budget" performance option. Funny though it has 4-wheel drumb brakes. I believe the tranny was changed by the guy I bought it from. It also has no power steering.

After talking to some other 69 camaro owners they said it wasa very rare car being its auto on the column, delux interior, single leaf rear, vinyl top and single trac rear. The odometer says around 80k on it and I dont know if I agree with that but not sure how I will ever know.

It was in Oklahoma, then Texas, and I purchased it after it was in NY for a few years hidden in a garage. It does run and the engine seems to be fine as well as the transmissionbut it needs the body redone, new interior, vinyl top...etc. Pretty much a complete restoration.

The frame is good and solid with no issues, the only body panel that needs replaced is the inner fender on the passenger side where the batter acid rotted it out and the right rear quarter has been skinned. ITs not bad and has very little rust showing, whoever did it did a decent job. The doors open and shut as good as most cars that have been restored and virtually no rust in them at all. I think it being in the South kept it nice. The grill stiffener was rusty so I bought a new one, same with the batter holder. The hood is the original hood but it has hood pins because the latch broke and the people before me were lazy. The only glass missing is the back driver side piece. Someone broke in and stole the radio and speakers and broke the window to unlock the door. The firewall is perfect as well and the floor boards are in great shape. I noticed a few small pin holes in the trunk where water sat but thats about it. It has a few dings on both the rear quarters near the lights because the guys mom that I purchased this from ran it in to her car and the edge of the garage when she moved it.

So what is this thing worth to sell? I have had it sitting in my parents garage for 5 years and I havent touched it since I bought it. I also have a steel 2 1/4 cowl hood as well as new bumpers and both spoilers. I saw some cars in very poor shape going for $7,500 and up. At Carlisle they were selling for that all day long in bad shape.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Whats it worth? might sell my car

In your story, I didn't see you mention anywhere that it's a "numbers matching" engine in the car? Is it? It makes a difference.
For 69, GM used the same block casting (4 different) for the 302 Z/28 and 350. And the 327 shared only 2 of those castings. The base small block was the 327 in early years, then the 307 (totally different block). The 350 was available only as part of the SS package. And since the rest of your car isn't set up as an SS, it's safe to say yours isn't one. If the engine is a 327 #'s matching, the block casting should be either 3932386 or 3956618. Otherwise, you would have a replacement block.
Either way, from the sounds of it, the car is still definitely worth quite a bit more than $7500.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 AM

I talked to my dad and he said it was an LM1 engine. The guy before me told me it wa the original engine, they changed only the intake, carb, and the exhaust manifolds they swapped out for headers. The L65 replaced the LM1 part way through 1969. It is a 255hp/350ci engine. I found this page on the engine. http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml

So it could be the original engine, I wont say that it is because I am not sure how to tell either.

After talking to a few Camaro guys that specialize in buying and restoring them they said this was a pretty rare car that I have. Now, will that I dont think will make it rare because its not a high performance car at all.

The only other thing I can think is that "if" the engine is not the original one they may have replaced it from another 1969 Camaro. I might rip it out and tear it down this winter for something to do...lol I was going to rebuild the car. I had a drag prepped 3-speed auto tranny built for it (still have it, should support 550hp), a 461ci big block with 396ci/375hp closed chamber heads, 250domed pistons, .553/.571 cam, Performer RPM intake....etcI was starting to get a few other parts as well and then I ran out of money and lost interest to other projects.

Just not sure if I want to kick myself in the ***** in a few years if I sell it.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, was this an impulse buy? If so, then sell it as you are probably regretting buying it right about now. If not, then let it go. Will you regret it? Well, the longer you have the car and the more you work on it or enjoy it (or both) the greater the likelihood that you will be kicking yourself in the ***** for selling it. The car sounds like it's in really good shape and, from your description, total restoration is not needed...some body work, paint, "freshening" and she's good to go.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Here is how I look at it. Dude, its a 69 Camaro! What sounds better to you?
A: I own a 69 Camaro
or
B: I used to own a 69 Camaro, but I sold it and now I dont have one anymore.

I have a 69, and even though its in a million parts and might not see pavement for a few more years, I can still say "I own a 69 Camaro".
-unless you need the money, if so, nevermind.
Also, its only worth what someone will pay for it. You can check out some auction sites (NOT EBAY) to get an idea of its value.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you don't have to sell your 69, then you would be a fool to get rid of it. Trust me, you will kick yourself later. Plus, the LM1 is indeed a rare option. And if that's what you really do have, that's all the more reason to hang on to it. Look here: Camaro Decoding to help determine what you have. And if you can't make sense of the numbers, post them here for assistance.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

One thing that has not been mention is the fact that the market is in the crapper right now. Cars that sold for 15k last year are selling for 8K this year. If the economy keeps going like it is the value of hobbies cars will dropbecuase the people in trouble will be selling them just to get them thru. Any time supply goes up the price drops. Unfinished project and cars requiring a lot of work will be hit the hardest.

The true collector cars will not be as effected as muchbecause they are mostly sold to the upper end of the economic ladder.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM

I spoke to my dad and we have decided we are not going to sell it. We are just finishing up the garage to put the car in so we are going to try and dedicate a few hours a week and a few hundred bucks a month to dump in to it.

The car doesnt eat anything and I dont need the money or the space that it takes up.

I guess my mind is made up.

Thanks guys!I do think I will sell my GTO though.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:29 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: TLS_Addict

I spoke to my dad and we have decided we are not going to sell it. We are just finishing up the garage to put the car in so we are going to try and dedicate a few hours a week and a few hundred bucks a month to dump in to it.

The car doesnt eat anything and I dont need the money or the space that it takes up.

I guess my mind is made up.

Thanks guys!I do think I will sell my GTO though.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. waitaminute. A Camaro and a GTO?!? What year is the gto?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 AM

The GTO is a 2004. Sorry its not a classic.......lol I have it listed in the for sale section here. Willing to make a deal on it too. The 57 chevy however IS still for sale. A lot of leaf lookers and tire kickers have been by but no money yet.