1967 questions about restorations or parts replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Default 1967 questions about restorations or parts replacement

I am looking to find out some tips The car has been sitting with fuel in the tank, Replace the tank or flush it found the cost to be close Any thoughts ?
Should I change out the water pump ?
Looking at a additional core radiator, what I find are 3 cores for Big blocks, will they work on a small block 327 and bolt in ?
Should I flush the braking system?
Any help on additional mechanical tips getting the car up and running , what should be done 47k on the vehicle

Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

How long has it been sitting? Was the tank full? Why a bigger radiator, are you in Arizona or someplace really hot?
If she's been sitting a long time the whole brake system should be gone through with new or rebuilt master and slave cylinders and new brake line hoses.
Same for the fuel lines and any other rubber bits like belts and any hoses on the motor.
Water pump might be ok but they're cheap so a good idea to fit a new one while you're at it.
If the engine hasn't been turned over it a long time I would pull the plugs and lube it up first an a minimum, pulling it apart for a complete reseal would be a better idea assuming it's still a good engine that ran well when parked and hasn't rusted up inside.
Was this car stored inside out of the weather? What kind of climate? There are a lot of things that make a difference and you haven't given us much info yet.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:08 PM

About 1/4 of tank when I rolled it in the garage, its been inside paint is great interior is like new dash is intact no cracks no dents or bondo Sad new bfg,s not sure if they flat spotted I think it's been sitting for 7 years it was a palm springs Ca car so yes hot area, Elderly lady sold it she has no DL cannot drive She said when they drove it would run warm Car still in Ca (desert)
I was thinking to add marvelous mystery oil to the cylinders and hand crank it if it will turn, then change oil Radiator still green I saw some gas tanks on Amazon Was looking for New plug wires and plugs
should I rebuild the carburetor
I think the trans seal is dried out from no use ,wet in the view tray I will look at brake system rebuild,
Can you just get rubber fuel lines to replace the old ones
I also notice the front end rubber is dried out, I was looking at rebuild kit What about fuel pump replace or clean New points and cap ?

Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

7 years garaged and in a desert climate I'd oil it up and if she spins over ok then try to get her started.
I'd probably just drain the gas tank and add a clear inline filter then add fresh gas, might be ok as is but what the filter picks up will tell the story.
If you don't see a bunch of rust and junk in the filter just run it and change out the filter after a couple tanks of gas.
Carb might need rebuilt but I'd pull it off and clean it with a spray can of carb cleaner, maybe submerge it in a can of gas and carb cleaner in a bottle first for a few hours.
Work the throttle a few times with it off the car to see that the accelerator pump is working and slap it back on.
If it runs good and isn't leaking gas you might get by without a rebuild. If it's a Quadrajet there may be a filter where the gas line goes in, I'd replace that for sure.
You can buy gas line hose at NAPA by the foot, figure out how much you need and what diameter it is first.
Front end rubber? not sure what you mean by that.
As for the radiator, does it have a fan shroud? what type/size fan? Sometimes just going to a better fan will do the trick like a 6 blade rather than a 4 blade and if there's not a fan shroud it'll need one. I'd drive it a bit to see just how hot it runs before buying an expensive radiator. Post up some pics when you get a chance!

Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

If your car has no shroud and only a 4 blade fan like this there's the problem.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

If should have a shroud and a 6 blade with a fan clutch like this.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Default Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips I will drop the tank and flush it with some new fuel add a filter just didn't know if it's worth doing it twice , a replacement tank is 125.00 Front end rubber for the A arms and ball joints and steering is bad New gasket between the carb and intake
Drain the radiator and flush the engine?? Charge water pump
gas tank 125
water pump 80
front end parts 250
brake system rebuild 130
coil,plugs and cap wires 80
trans seal and or rebuild got pull it either way 850
carb rebuild kit 56
new fan and shroud 125
new 3 core with shroud 209
Filter and hoses 50
By the way the first picture of the fan looks like my engine bay ( youve seen my car LOL)
My car says it was a CA build 411
The build tag states it was built with a standard transmission But the car has a automatic There is no assembly mount for clutch pedal under the dash The lady who sold the car says they driove it home new from the dealer like this?

Old 09-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by My67RSSS
Thanks for the tips I will drop the tank and flush it with some new fuel add a filter just didn't know if it's worth doing it twice , a replacement tank is 125.00 Front end rubber for the A arms and ball joints and steering is bad New gasket between the carb and intake
Drain the radiator and flush the engine?? Charge water pump
gas tank 125
water pump 80
front end parts 250
brake system rebuild 130
coil,plugs and cap wires 80
trans seal and or rebuild got pull it either way 850
carb rebuild kit 56
new fan and shroud 125
new 3 core with shroud 209
Filter and hoses 50
By the way the first picture of the fan looks like my engine bay ( youve seen my car LOL)
My car says it was a CA build 411
The build tag states it was built with a standard transmission But the car has a automatic There is no assembly mount for clutch pedal under the dash The lady who sold the car says they driove it home new from the dealer like this?
Well all that should pretty much cover it except for a full lube job of course, not sure on the auto vs manual on the build sheet but I think sometimes things got changed on the assembly line,possibly when someone ordered a car, who knows. It was a first year production run for Camaro, it could be a very early car being built and bought in California.
A better fan and shroud should help the cooling a lot. Keep us posted, still would love to see some pics.
One owner survivors of any car over 50 years old are pretty rare, great find! Unmolested '67 Camaros are quite rare and a one owner even more so.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Like you mentioned all soft parts of the brakes should be replaced. This includes the soft lines that connect the hard lines to the moving parts. Brake shoes and drums don't age poorly and you can look that them and tell if they need replaced. Also keep an eye on the tires, Anything over 10 year old needs to be watched for cracking. I always kept my tires protected with armor all but then ended up cracking between the treads. I also replace all the coolant hose and ended up doing the heater core. Keep in mind that coolant will look green but after 3 years it starts to break down chemically and a by product of that is acid. If you can flush your system before the new radiator and water pump that will get the acid out of the system before the new parts are installed. I did not replace my water pump. I figured as long as its not staining the drain hole I am good for short local trips. I will be doing both the water pump and the fuel pump this winter. Here in PA we get 4-5 months a year down time for our classics. I just wanted to be sure all the bad fuel was out of the lines and all the acid was out of the coolant system before installing new parts. Carb is in the same boat if you are not flushing all the lines. Maybe get it running see how it does then rebuild it. I ended up with the carb off 3 times, ended up being a defective accelerator pump from the new kit.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69...wake-up-82726/

You plan on getting rid of the points? I think that is my next project.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-30-2018 at 04:03 PM.