What do I look for in a 69?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Default What do I look for in a 69?

Hi, I'm new with this forum, Just registered. I found a 69 Camaro at a county auction thats looks to be in good shape (body wise). I dont know how it runs or anything and we're not allowed to test drive. I am however allowed to start it up. My question is what do I look for with this car to make sure its cool to purchase? I'm new to older cars and dont know what to look for. I dont know to much about the car other than its a stick and a 327. Tomorrow I plan on going to look at it and start it up. If anyone can help me on this it'd be much appreciated. I'll have the vin and pic's tomorrow if anyone would like me to post either of them. Thanks ahead of time!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: What do I look for in a 69?

There really no way to explain to someone in a post what all to look for when purchasing a car. No mater what make or model. Do you know anyone that is a real mechanic? maybe you could pay them to go look at the car for you. Also What yhou want to look for depend on what is important to you.

Common issues would include: Rust almost everywhere, Many of these car look decent but then need a complete restore. This is from years of cosmedic only repairs. As for the engine, well if you where looking at a 2002 we could list a bunch of issues to look for but on a 69 there is just no way of know whats in it? Most of these cars did not make it out of the 70s with there original engines. The car could easly be on its 4th drive line.

There are thousands of people looking for 69s. Many have been looking for years. You have to understand even a car that needs a complete restoration is going to go for big bucks unless no one knows about this auction . Cars that just 10 years ago would have been concidered un-fixable are now selling for 4-5K. It is not uncommon to spend 15K to get a good rolling chassie.

Post your pics the more the better. We can try to help with the value. Most of the time Value is based on the original option that came with the car and a lack of rust. You need the numbers off the cowl tag.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

bottom line is that you have to decide what is more important to you. do you want the drivetrain perfect or the body. way to much to go into online here, although you could do a search of past posts and get a lot of good info

your best bet is to take a mechanic, or better yet, an experienced bodyman with you to check it out. as far as the pictures go, save yourself the trouble of posting them unless you get VERY DETAILED pictures of all the little nooks and crannies of the car, including the underside.

I'm not trying tosound like an *** here, but it's just that so many people on here take pictures from 5' away and always ask "what do you think?" without seeing pictures of the problem spots (again do a search on here) it's really not worth posting, because it's impossible to give you a true estimate of condition, and anyone that tells you different really doesn't know how to value a car

Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Well start it up, check for leaks from the Timing cover, rear main seal, valve covers and transmission. I think you would be able to tell if the motor really wasnt running right. Since its a stick I would shift it, pretty hard and fast, and round off your shifts to see if the shifting linkage will stick or not. Also check for leaks under the radiator, and rear diff. I would check the frame, and the floor pans next to the frame for rust and holes. Rev it up slowly to see if it sputters to check if the timing is off or not. Otherwise really isn't much of a way to tell unless you bring it to a mechanic, or are one to check things out. Be careful because even if you cant see anything, people that sell classics are very good covering up problems with the car. So some might arise later. If you have the opportunity, put it on a 2 post lift and check for body/frame flex.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

RE: What do I look for in a 69?

Well let's see here, hmmm...the first thingI look for in a '69 is money under the back seat!
(Just kiddin') Really though, as the other guys have stated, there just isn't any cut-and-dry way to tell some one what to look for in any kind of car if they aren't somewhat familiar with the type of car in the first place. And pictures never tell the truth. Basically, if you like it and feel that the price is affordable, go ahead and buy it... good luck

Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well after going thru this with my 69 I learned alot about where rust can hide and how to look for it. I would def check real well up under the car. Check the floor and trunk pans. Look around all the windows and door jams. Mine had no interior so it was easy to look up under the dash and see what the back seats and sides looked like. I am not any kind of an expert on the engine and cant tell you what to look for in that but I did know that my tranny was shot just by putting it in gear.Other than that I didnt really know what was under the paint till it gotblasted and then Iwas in for a big shock.To look at it you wouldsay that it had no rust whatsoever. I did pay too much for the car in the shape it was in. I did end up paying for someone elses neglect.