What can you tell about this camaro!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Default What can you tell about this camaro!?

What can you tell from the pictures of this car?

68 camaro ss 400 hp 5 speed show

I am looking to purchase a classic before the dream cruise on woodward coming up shortly, let me know what facts you can figure from the cl add!

thanks for your help.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by djt511
What can you tell from the pictures of this car?

68 camaro ss 400 hp 5 speed show

I am looking to purchase a classic before the dream cruise on woodward coming up shortly, let me know what facts you can figure from the cl add!

thanks for your help.
To be honest, after doing more than a few restorations in my day, a few being first gens, I would have to say that unless that person got a HELL of a good deal on that car it is too good to be true. A good condition first gen consistent of mostly reusable parts all numbers matching will generally run about $10,000 before even starting on the work. Keep in mind that is typically a car that will need a ground up restoration, refurbishing EVERYTHING to at least some degree. The car looks good in the pics but god only knows what type of condition the sheet metal is really in under that nice shiny new paint. You can polish a turd and make it really shiny but in the end it's still just a turd.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by krazymonkeys
To be honest, after doing more than a few restorations in my day, a few being first gens, I would have to say that unless that person got a HELL of a good deal on that car it is too good to be true. A good condition first gen consistent of mostly reusable parts all numbers matching will generally run about $10,000 before even starting on the work. Keep in mind that is typically a car that will need a ground up restoration, refurbishing EVERYTHING to at least some degree. The car looks good in the pics but god only knows what type of condition the sheet metal is really in under that nice shiny new paint. You can polish a turd and make it really shiny but in the end it's still just a turd.
Is the motor "era correct" he doesn't say numbers matching, nor does he know if it is, im assuming it is not. Also being a 5 speed, decrease the value much?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by djt511
Is the motor "era correct" he doesn't say numbers matching, nor does he know if it is, im assuming it is not. Also being a 5 speed, decrease the value much?
Anything not completely original is going to decrease the value to some degree, especially if the car is of some special interest such as a true Z28 or better yet a COPO car. I bought a COPO 427 car with a M22 for $12,000 and sold it 2 weeks later for $18,000 and could have gotten more at the time but I wanted to turn a quick profit. Keep in mind this car wasn't even close to being restored. Now back to the engine. The only things I can tell without casting numbers as well as date codes is that the heads are old style non-vortec and that is is at least a sbc of some sort. IT also has headers as well as an aluminum intake of unknown manufacture but I would say more than likely Edelbrock just due to being more readily available. Still a manual brake car. Does any of this really detract from the value? None of those by themselves do but altogether they point out that the car is most like very far from a 100 point restoration show car. I personally wouldn't buy the car but that is because it wouldn't be profitable for me. I have my toy and don't need another. For you that is a matter of whether or not you plan to keep the car or not. If so, then by all means go see it. Look it over with a fine toothed comb. Take it to a mechanic if you don't know cars well enough or at least bring a friend who does. Above all else if you wanna make sure this is going to be a great restoration, try to get someone who does restorations to come with you even if you have to pay for their time. Even if you lose out on the money because you don't buy the car it is much better than spending nearly 20 grand to find out you need to dump 20 grand more in to make it right.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM

did he do a trans swap that car should be a four speed not five and an easy way to see if it does have bondo is to take a magnet to the body if it dont stick that means its bondo but the car does look good motor could be cleaner for 20,000

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It says in the craigslist posting it is a 5 speed. Doesn't say anything else about it.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

I would ask for tins of pics. Rust is a big factor with these. All quarters, floor pans, bottoms of doors, and frame.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM

i will request more pictures. He does not know much about the motor or trans, says the PO did all the restoring. so no records, not sure what vehicle the trans came out of but its obv not correct to the car if it is indeed a 5speed.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That would be good and try to get casting numbers and date codes if possible. That will give a much better idea as to what the engine is and whether there is a chance it is original. The biggest concern is the casting numbers though. Even if the date codes are off a little that isn't as much of a concern. It's fairly common practice to restamp blocks these days anyway.