What is a 1967 RS/SS worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What is a 1967 RS/SS worth?

Im looking at picking up a 1967 RS/SS but heres the deal:

That car has no signifigant rust but will need some patch work and body work, but trunk and floors are extremely solid. However the car is completely apart down to no interior and the front end completly off. The owner does not have the original motor or tranny but claims to have the rest of the car. It is a restoration project for sure but doesnt look too bad, no sheet metal needed.

I dont know the Vin right now so dot know how it would be optioned and what size engine, ect..I plan on doing a weekend driver restoration, nothing too crazy down to all matching numbers or anything crazy..

My question to all, is what would a FAIR price to pay for the car for a person with my goals in mind, Keep in mind I dont plan on throwing $100K into the car, and will do 90% of the work myself...

I dont want to overpay, but dont want to screw the guy and lowball him..It is in really good shape body metal and frame wise of all the ones I looked at.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

really not enough info and with no pics its hard to say???
is the paint good or dose it need to be redone?
is the rear a 10 or 12 bolt
are all the parts there rs head light stuff ss hood?
every nut and bolt to rebuild it? all interior there in good shape??
there are a ton of little odds and ends on these cars that can add up to thousands of dollars fast!!
so my guess would be 5000-15000???

Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by burnt68
really not enough info and with no pics its hard to say???
is the paint good or dose it need to be redone?
is the rear a 10 or 12 bolt
are all the parts there rs head light stuff ss hood?
every nut and bolt to rebuild it? all interior there in good shape??
there are a ton of little odds and ends on these cars that can add up to thousands of dollars fast!!
so my guess would be 5000-15000???
I can tell you it will need paint and some body work..I believe a 10 bolt rear, havent seen the interior...the car is gutted to metal right now... The kid originally wanted $9000 for it last year and I thought that was VERY excessive for its current condition..I since have considered it again, but he wont give me a price now, he said he dont know what its worth..There is no way Im going 9k for a car in boxes, I dont care how rare he claims the options to be..

Im considering a $5000 max offer to him..

Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You did not mention what parts are all with the car. Lets say its a true RS/SS less the orginal motor. What motor does it have? if any. If its a big block car and he has a decent big block to go with it his 9K is inline. He could get more then 5K parting it out. A SS 12 bolt rear in good condition will sell for $1200 a good M22 4 speed will sell for $1000 the GM original RS front end will go for $1500. Any decent condition Big block will sell for 2K. Now you get into the little stuff. The SS tach can go for $250, Console another $250 if it came with any options those would worth money. You could sell all the little stuff to anyone restoring one of these would gladly pay $500 for all the hardware. So you left with a solid shell and 2 doors. A bargin at $2500. Even without a title its worth more then 5K. Now if its an almost orginal RS/SS and he has all the parts except a motor 7500 would be a good deal. If its a clone and he happens to have a bunch of SS parts the $5000 is right in line. If its not an SS and he has few parts then you paying a little too much at 5K. So the range in Value is somewhere between 3k and 9K depending on what he has.

You should learn how decode the Cowl tag. The 67 has all the list of orginal options stamped right on the metal tag. The fact it is a RS/SS does not sound like it is a big deal to you but to many guys that like gold. I saw an auction 3 years ago for a title, section of fire wall/cowl that had the vin and cowl tag and a section of the door post that had vin and that was it. You could have picked everything on a bicycle. It was a well optioned 67 RS/SS big block car. It sold for $7500.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
You did not mention what parts are all with the car. Lets say its a true RS/SS less the orginal motor. What motor does it have? if any. If its a big block car and he has a decent big block to go with it his 9K is inline. He could get more then 5K parting it out. A SS 12 bolt rear in good condition will sell for $1200 a good M22 4 speed will sell for $1000 the GM original RS front end will go for $1500. Any decent condition Big block will sell for 2K. Now you get into the little stuff. The SS tach can go for $250, Console another $250 if it came with any options those would worth money. You could sell all the little stuff to anyone restoring one of these would gladly pay $500 for all the hardware. So you left with a solid shell and 2 doors. A bargin at $2500. Even without a title its worth more then 5K. Now if its an almost orginal RS/SS and he has all the parts except a motor 7500 would be a good deal. If its a clone and he happens to have a bunch of SS parts the $5000 is right in line. If its not an SS and he has few parts then you paying a little too much at 5K. So the range in Value is somewhere between 3k and 9K depending on what he has.

You should learn how decode the Cowl tag. The 67 has all the list of orginal options stamped right on the metal tag. The fact it is a RS/SS does not sound like it is a big deal to you but to many guys that like gold. I saw an auction 3 years ago for a title, section of fire wall/cowl that had the vin and cowl tag and a section of the door post that had vin and that was it. You could have picked everything on a bicycle. It was a well optioned 67 RS/SS big block car. It sold for $7500.

I will have to look at the cowl tag when I look at it again..

Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well tell him you will consider 9 g if he has documentation to prove its an rs/ss (should have a 12 bolt) a tach on right side of dash gauges,a console with gauges etc.... sounds like he is trying to sell the car for what it once was or could be and not what it is a basket case!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Do your homework, go to www.camaros.org once you have all the numbers and you can almost tell what the car should be. I said almost, if he has paperwork that will help.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dynarider33
Do your homework, go to www.camaros.org once you have all the numbers and you can almost tell what the car should be. I said almost, if he has paperwork that will help.
I can tell you there will be no paperwork..Im gonna have to get the vin and really do my research on it..

Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The VIN will only tell you if it's a 6 or 8 cyl. car, no specifics. What you need to check for the car's authenticity is the trim/cowl tag.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...ecode-1967.asp

Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The VIN will only tell you if it's a 6 or 8 cyl. car, no specifics. What you need to check for the car's authenticity is the trim/cowl tag.
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...ecode-1967.asp
True, but one giveaway would be a "4" instead of a "6" in the vin, indicating it was a 6cylinder car..There are no SS 6 cylinders..

Quick Reply: What is a 1967 RS/SS worth?