Weatherstrip Part Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:31 AM
Default Weatherstrip Part Missing?

[I found a resolution to this question, see the reply chain. The gasket was damaged and needed to be replaced; the part in question is called the "Roofrail Weatherstrip" and should have a molded end that was missing from my vehicle.]

I have a 1969 SS Camaro Coupe. A lot of the interior work was done by someone else a long time ago, and I have no way of contacting him.

There is a gap in the weatherstripping at the front edge of the doors, just above the top hinge, and it looks like there should be a piece of rubber or plastic that occupies the space. When the door is shut, there is a sizeable gap (big enough for my fingers), and when it rains the occasional drop of water blows through it while the car is in motion.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what specific part I need to purchase to fill the gap, or even if such a part exists.

Can someone tell me what part I need to fix this? Or (surely not) that this is the way the door seal is supposed to work?

[Edited to add resolution.]

Last edited by mwightman; 04-03-2020 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added resolution.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

somethings not right or missing. wonder if its generic.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Is the door alignment to the fender ok?
Possibly like what Craby said, generic gasket.
How does the other side seal?

Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Here's a kit that should fit right.
Does yours look like this? If not it may be generic.
https://www.camarocentral.com/1968_1...ps_p/wea-2.htm

Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this looks like the lower door seal.

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Here's a kit that should fit right.
Does yours look like this? If not it may be generic.
https://www.camarocentral.com/1968_1...ps_p/wea-2.htm

Old 03-27-2020, 05:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
this looks like the lower door seal.
It is my bad,thought that was where the problem was.

Is this what's missing?
https://www.camarocentral.com/1969_R...p/wea-161b.htm

Old 03-27-2020, 05:37 AM
2nd Gear member

His problem is right where the door closes, at the top, front edge, he has a gap.
Makes me think the door isn't pulled in tight enough to seal against the body.
I took notice to the number of shims they have where the fender is bolted to the body, so if that's pushed out, and they align the door to that, then you will have a gap.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 AM

The door appears to sit properly, at least when viewed from the outside when shut. I don't really have access to another car to compare to, but it looks right based on the pictures I've seen.

I've noticed that the weatherstripping around the top of the door frame is cut off at the bottom edge, and I'm wondering if there's a missing piece there, kind of like the lower weather seal mentioned in a prior post but for the frame where it goes over the door.

If anyone has a picture of the open-door hinge area of their 69 coupe that is assembled correctly, that might help me as well. I've looked online and not had much luck finding one from the right angle with the door open, similar to what I posted before. Oddly enough, that's not really a glamour shot for the car.

Here's a picture of the exterior of the car with the door shut. The gap is the same on both driver and passenger sides. If you look closely at the point where the frame meets the leading edge of the door and window, you can see the gap; I'm pretty sure it wouldn't completely close even if the door was touching the body panel at the leading edge (at which point the door wouldn't be able to open).

I appreciate everyone trying to help. If we weren't under quarantine I'd try to go to a car show and see if I could sneak a peek at someone else's work.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:00 AM
2nd Gear member

At first I thought it's possible that your body gaps but now I see what you are talking about.
If I'm right in thinking this, it looks like someone cut off the bottom of the roof rail weatherstrip.
This is not the best picture that I was able to find, http://www.chevyclassicsclub.com/wp-...f/tech1012.pdf
but look at the bottom image, #7 and you can see there is a molded or formed piece to the weatherstrip.
It looks like that is missing on your car and you might be right, someone cut it off.

Last edited by bruce69camaro; 04-02-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:49 AM

The fender-to-door gap at the front is a little big, but not huge; I measured it with some calipers at just shy of 0.27 inches. The rear door gap is just under 0.25 inches. The door is flush with the body when closed and the contours line up pretty close vertically. The driver and passenger sides are essentially the same.

The horizontal gap between the door frame and weatherstrip is about 0.65" at its narrowest point. Even if I moved the door forward to make contact with the fender that would leave well over a quarter inch of space. It really does seem like something's missing at the bottom of the front window felt/weatherstrip.

Here's one more picture of the problem spot from a different angle. If you have an example to compare it to, can you tell me if the rubber/felt part running down the inside of the A pillar looks like it's ending too early? The more I look at this, the more I think it may be that I'm missing the last few inches of that piece.

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Part Missing?