Vintage Air - Air Conditioning Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Vintage Air - Air Conditioning Kit Questions

I'm about to buy a Vintage Air air conditioning kit for my 67 RS (without original factory air).

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...e=20-247-6-207

First, does anyone have experience with this kit, and is it worth the effort and $1200???

The installation manual looks really thorough and well done. The kit looks pretty complete. Looks like a good deal to me for a couple of reasons. First, driving in a sweltering car in the summer sucks , but two, I was gonna replace the heater core and mess with the duct/fan controls anyway because they aren't working right. I'm in the process of restoring this car, I have the motor and tranny out, and will have the dash apart redoing wiring anyway (adding console gauges, etc.)

Another question is how to handle the drive belt for the new AC compressor. It has a two-groove pulley. Should I get a three-groove crank pulley and drive the compressor directly off the crank? I have power steering too, so was wondering if you'd generally run it directly off the crank too. Finally, I keep seeing descriptions of various pulleys saying 'performance ratio' or 'high-flow ratio'. I'm puttin' a custom 400+ HP 383 in this car, so I'm thinkin' the extra coolant flow would be a good thing.

I guess a summary of my questions here would be to ask if anyone has a picture or diagram of the pulley/belt setup for a 67 with A/C, power steering, alternator and water pump shown?

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have the same kit in my car except i picked up the frontrunner pulley system too. **Be sure to know if your car was originally a A/C car or non-A/C car. The firewall is different So, the kit is different.** You may already know this, but I learned the hard way. My car is a few cars-in-one and i got the wrong kit.

After correcting my mistakes, the kit has thorough instructions. and fits nicely under the dash. If you have decent knowledge of electricity and the refrigerant cycle it shouldn't be a hassle to install. If your looking for a smoothed firewall look, vintage air has a unit where the lines come through the fire wall behind the inner fender. The hoses can be tucked underneath the fender and exit by the core support. It cleans up the engine bay alot. I wish it was offered when i bought my kit.

I had alot of overheating problems with my engine and the kit will add to that. Have alot of "fat" built into the cooling system if your engine is really built up. I went a little too hot with the engine build.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Excellent info, thanks Juggernaut! I'll look into the 'behind the fender' kit and the pulley system. I'm worried enough now about overheating I think I'll go with a 'high flow' pulley ratio, and a heavy-duty radiator (though I don't know specifically what heavy duty might mean in this case, like extra rows, wider, etc.).

Should be fun.

Mitch

Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...ejr67_main.htm

Check out these pics... its a frontrunner system with the hoses tucked.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

I like the look of that system, I think that is the one for me! My Camaro is factory air but it never did work right and all that junk in the engine bay took away from the look of the engine.