Very Odd Wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Very Odd Wiring issue

The other day coming home from a show in the 68 i had my headlights so the rs doors are open. i had to make a left so i put my left turn signal on and made the turn. when the car straightend the indicator on the dash stayed lit and i lost my left turn signal.. i still had my right signal. then when i turn the lights off the left signal will come on but the right side will be blinking real dim. ive pulled the wheel and tore the turn signal cam and switch and its all good. i then have checked the flashers and dimmer switch. and still the indicator is bright on the dash when the light switch is pulled. im down to thining the light switch is bad but are there any other possibilites? i open to all ideas cause im lost when it comes to wiring.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like it could be a bad ground, or a corroded power supply connection. First check your tail light housing mounting screws. The housings are made of pot metal, and screwing them to the body is what grounds them. Then check the connections on the front marker lights. If still nothing, check the bulbs for clean connections and none being burned out.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

thats the thing all lights are still working. i am thinking it is some where in the front part of the harness or the actual light switch.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Did you check the lights on the outside to make sure they're all nice and bright?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i have all my side markers, tail lights, brake lights, headlights and the dimmer is working. my right turn signal works right. nice and brite and flashes. with the lights off the left works brite but at the same time the right is flashing real dimmly. also the hazards work right both left and right are nice and bright.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
the left works brite but at the same time the right is flashing real dimmly.
That's a classic sign of having a bad ground. The circuit with the bad ground tries to find ground from somewhere. Sometimes it does, and back-feeds power into a totally different circuit, making those light up dimly.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a similiar situation happen to me with my 67 RS/SS. It ended up being a ground wire.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

what should ground the turn signals? alof the wiring under the dash looks good and correct.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear member

The front turn signals are grounded from their casing to ground usually next to the core support.

However, the socket where the bulb fits into looses it's continuity between the socket and the housing. I dunno, maybe it rusts where those two pieces of metal meet. But anyway, just because your ground from the housing to your core support is good, doesn't mean you've got a good connection between the socket and the housing.

I fixed mine by soldering across the socket and the housing to solve my issue. It took me weeks with countless hours to find that stupid faulty ground... and yes, I replaced my switch first, then my turn signal housing... man, I threw a lot of money away with replacement parts before I dug into the hard work of finding that stupid booger....

But yeah, it sounds exactly like a bad ground. Just grab a piece of wire and use it as a ground from your socket to ground and see if the dimming etc goes away. You'll find it sooner or later.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well figured out what was the problem. the bulb in the front left signal was shorting. so now everything is good but now im having a problem putting the column back together. one of the springs the are in the cancel cam wont stay on. here is a pic of one complete and i cant get the on that is on its side to stay put. i put it in and then test the signals then it pops out after going neutral, left,neutral,right,neutral then out it comes. does the hub hold that down?
Name:  100_0465.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  36.1 KB

Quick Reply: Very Odd Wiring issue