Trying to Decide on Purchase of Gen 1 or Gen 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Default Trying to Decide on Purchase of Gen 1 or Gen 5

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and don't own any Camaro right now. I'm a former F-Body owner having had a 1971 Formula Firebird, a 1985 IROC-Z and 1996 WS6 Trans Am.

I was devasted enough when GM cancelled the F-Bods back in 2002 that I sent them a nasty e-mail about how I was never going to buy another GM car until they revived it. Well, now that they have, (just for me..haha), I've sold my '08 Jeep Wrangler and purchased a cheap econo-box in expectation of ordering a new SS/RS.

However, I'm starting to have thoughts of purchasing either a Gen 1 or early Gen 2 Camaro or Firebird instead. Everytime I see one, I think it would be a better purchase for someone like me.

I want to support GM, and I really like the looks of the new Camaro, but there is just something magical about the early f-bods and I'm having a lot of trouble rationalizing the weight of the new car.

Anyway, I know that by posting in the Gen 1 area that most of you are going to prefer that body style, but I was wondering how you thought the new car stacked up against the Gen 1's, especially in regards to personality.

And being as objective as possible, if you were a new buyer and didn't currently own either one, which would you buy?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My opinion you should go by the 5th gen. The fact I just bought 1000 shares of GM has nothing to do with that opinion. What are you waiting for, GO. The only way I get a 5th gen is if the stock goes back to $25 bucks a share.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

it all depends on your finances and automotive ability. if you can work on the car yourself, and have the CASH to buy an old one, I'd do that.

it you aren't that good with cars, and need to get financing, I'd buy a new one

Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Ninja Administrator

the new one weighs more because it is MUCH more comforatble and safe. those are things to consider. i dont know which way I would go either actually.... but a nice looking interior is something that I appreciate. thats the main reason I went with a firebird over the camaro. the camaro interior looks like a truck to me

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome!...of course it's the new one that i'll buy!...

Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

if your main thing in buying a camaro/firebird is style and looks and you have the money and know how to keep it up then go first gen. if you want easy performance and great handleing for alot less money in upkeep and maintnace then definatly go 5th gen.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 PM

To me, working on them is just about as much fun as driving them. In fact, I sold my 2006 Corvette because it was too 'boring' for me...haha.

I believe that after a certain point, a car's personality is just as important as any other aspect. There will always be a faster, better handling, safer, more comfortable car out there somewhere, but so what, if it doesn't inspire a bit of passion.

The order of preference in my vehicles are:
-----------------------------------------
1. Performance
2. Handling
3. Looks/Personality
4. Quality
5. Comfort
6. Safety

I've seen the safest cars in the world smashed up on the side of the highway because of the one piece of equipment that can't be changed...the idiot behind the wheel.

Financing is another matter entirely...I've always financed the cars I've bought and have never had the money (except when I was young and my vehicles didn't cost much (like my '71 formula for $1200 bucks)). So that would be kicker for me.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

I had to make that decision back before I bought my 69 knowing the new ones were coming. I decided to buy the 69. Now that the new ones are coming out I am thinking I wish I had waited but not really, maybe so, well kinda, did I do the right thing, sort of feels like it, dang it, I should have waited!! No!! I did the right thing, I love my 69, but it sure would be nice to have a 2010!! STOP!!! The voices in my head are Killing ME!!! When I see every TOm, **** and Harry driving them around on Cruise Night up at the local BK, Something tells me I'll be glad I bought my 69.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

What are you buying it for?? If you want to drive it all the time, and value of your investment is second to running the car regularly, buy the 2010. If you want to have your investment grow, enjoy working on the car and have something that the next guy most likely doesn't, buy a first gen or early second gen. I think that the appeal of the first gens will only grow as these retro cars take to the street. After all, the 5th gens are a tribute to the greatest cars ever made.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I think your comment about "boring" new cars kind of says it all. My 07 Vette is a very nice car, but it is a DD, super reliable and comfortable, lots of power, etc. If you want the unusual, cool, maybe not so reliable, no A/C, then the 67, 8, 9 might be your choice. Remember any first gen is a 40 year old car, with 40 years of unknown maintenance (unless you buy from someone like me who has owned and kept records for 35 years, but you'd probably need a loan to pay for it). Many states will register a first gen as an antique - that says things you might want to consider in your purchase.

Will it be a DD?

If so, what happens if you are late for work, or miss it altogether when your cool old car breaks down?

Don't get me wrong, I love my old Camaro, and am not in the market for another, but I have a DD for reliablity.

Quick Reply: Trying to Decide on Purchase of Gen 1 or Gen 5