tips for Storing my Car for a 2-3 years?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default tips for Storing my Car for a 2-3 years?

Guys,

I work for an Oil company in Houston and Looks like I might be transferred to Scotland for 2-3 Years and then come back to Houston.

I'm definately not selling my 69 Yenko, and I can't take it to the UK...

Does anyone have any suggestions on storing a car that long? the Engine has about 600 miles on it, Not sure if thats important or not.

There is a good chance that I will get to travel back to Houston a few times a year during this period, If thats the case I can just put it in storage and come out and drive it to lubricat the moving parts and let it breath!

If They do not allow me to return to the states for business then It will be sitting for multiple years without being started...etc. I could leave the keys with friends, but I'm not a big fan of that, I know how that goes... I have seen first hand someone babystting someones car while they were overseas... Not a good idea from my experience. You may not have a friendship to come back to...

Whats my options here? I do not want to sell the car, I just finished the car and it's awesome! I want this to be one of the reasons I can't wait to get home...

any tips tricks would be much appreciated!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM

A friend of mine had a simalar situation when he went overseas. He ended up lending his car to the local car museum. They put it on display in a climate controlled environment and they maintained it. To top it off it was free. I dont know if you have anything like that by you but its something to look into especially if its a rare car.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lots of fabric softner sheets in the interior and moth ***** on the floor under the car (for mice)
run it with some sta-bil in the fuel for about 5-10 minutes, pull the battery and place it on a tender.
put the car on jack stands so the tires wont get flat spots from sitting for 2-3 yrs.
should be good to go.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by PA68
A friend of mine had a simalar situation when he went overseas. He ended up lending his car to the local car museum. They put it on display in a climate controlled environment and they maintained it. To top it off it was free. I dont know if you have anything like that by you but its something to look into especially if its a rare car.

its a clone car

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

For that amount of time, you should probably fog your cylinders also

Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 AM

I might be bias but I would use Amsoil's stabilizer and there spray fog for sure! Amazing products when it comes down to it! Make sure you fill the gas tank full so you don't get rust in the tank. The fuel additive will help with that as well. I wouldn't bother putting a battery tender on a battery for 2-3 years????? I would just be prepared to put a new battery in the car when you return. You should also change the oil before putting it away! Thats along time for a car to sit so be prepared to change all your fluids when you plan on driving it again! Make sure there is antifreeze in the radiator if you live in cold states! Whew i'm glad thats you and not me.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Run it out of gas while dribbling Marvel Mystery Oil into the carb, drain the rest of the gas. Jack it up and hang the wheels so the springs don't have tension on them. Pull the valve covers and loosen the valve springs so they don't set. Put paste wax on the entire outer surface and leave it on. Throw De-con in the interior. Cover the car with a car cover and a blanket under the cover. Give the battery away.

I stored mine for 15 years after putting it in storage for an 18 month overseas tour; if I had loosened the valve springs it would have fired right up. It still might have, but a broken valve spring would have been a costly repair so I just pulled the heads and replaced them all.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Letting the suspension hang will expand the shocks, leaving the (for now) polished shafts exposed, allowing rust to form on them, and eventually making the shock more prone to leak due to rust pits. Resting the car on the suspension/axles is a better way for keeping the tires off the ground, unless you want to disconnect the shocks.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Good point. I stored mine inside in the desert, so rust wasn't an issue.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, we get real humidity here. And with Yenko being in Texas, I gotta figure he deals with it too. Things in the garage can sweat pretty bad in the summer, turning exposed metal to rust in no time.

Quick Reply: tips for Storing my Car for a 2-3 years?