Templete for a non gauge console???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Templete for a non gauge console???

Hey guys, my car did not come with gauges and I really want to upgrade/retrofit it but I want to keep the original console as opposed to buying a new reproduction one. Not so much for the money but I am replacing so many parts (sheet metal and crome) that I don't want to end up with a Chinese Camaro Is it possible to cut out the non gauge console and do a good job so you can not tell weather it is an original gauge console or not, is there a templete for the job?
Thanks for the help and God Bless

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I wouldn't want to hack up the original console top, unless you're not worried about keeping the original one in tact. You might be better off trying to find a used one on ebay or at a swap meet, if you don't want to buy a repro. The gauge console has mounting tabs to mount the cluster to, something you would have to retrofit if you cut yours. If you plan on installing a factory style gauge cluster, you can use that as a pattern.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-10-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Default Gauge template

No template, according to the local Camaro Parts supplier. I would visit your local classic Camaro Parts supplier and ask if you could make a template off one of the consoles that have the cut-out. Then I would go to someone like "TAP Plastics" and have them professionally cut it out. If you do it yourself, drill a pilot hole first, then use a hacksaw blade. You might give "Rick's Camaro" a call, I did see in their catalog a gauge housing for non-gauge consoles, but do not know the details on how it worked. It may have a template that you use to cut the console.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroX
No template, according to the local Camaro Parts supplier. I would visit your local classic Camaro Parts supplier and ask if you could make a template off one of the consoles that have the cut-out. Then I would go to someone like "TAP Plastics" and have them professionally cut it out. If you do it yourself, drill a pilot hole first, then use a hacksaw blade. You might give "Rick's Camaro" a call, I did see in their catalog a gauge housing for non-gauge consoles, but do not know the details on how it worked. It may have a template that you use to cut the console.
Yea, I don't think I have a local guy here in Jersey. I have seen some pictures of gauge consoles and they seem to have some kind of metal edge with what seem to be screw guides but unfortunatley the are no close ups so it is kind of hard to see in detail, that's what I am afraid of, the gauge console part not fitting right on the floor console. I just started the resto and we are removing body panels so I guess I have time to figure it out.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM

I just bought one off eBay and would be glad to supply some pictures if you would like. I might look and see if the is 'template'

Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by dchurch
I just bought one off eBay and would be glad to supply some pictures if you would like. I might look and see if the is 'template'
Absolutely, e mail me at aperjo@gmail.com Thanks