Take a look tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Default Take a look tell me what you think

Ok I am considering a purchase of this 69 its an X11 so nothing just to special from the factory anyways. Car has a 502 with a 400 tranny manual valve body, line lock, and trans axel lock I think its called where reverse and 1st gear lock so you can launch, a Dana 60 rear end with 4:11 gears and a set of 373's come with it. Car is mini tubbed runs strong I went and looked/drove it today. The rear quarters have been replaced you can tell on the top body line isn't perfect but looks good. The front fenders down low have mud in them/ noticable but he said it was like that when it bought it 10 years ago and hasn't gotten any worse. Trunk has some surface rust but no holes same as the floor! The guy has had the car for 10 years and hasn't done anything to it but drive it ocacionally. The interior has a 4 point cage in it. There are 2 little rips in the driver seat on the seam other then that the interior is very close to complete, and in good condition. Problems to me with the car other then the body work stated above is the exhaust only has about 3 inches of clearance. When starting the car, the timing is retarded quite a bit so it doesn't turn over fast at all. It does start consistantly and runs very well once running. Also no heater or defrost. Now the car was raced by the owner prior to the guy that has it now. Car runs straight probably went close to 8th mile without hand on wheel and the car went straight so that was good. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get home from work! I want a driver i'm not looking for a show car or a race car just something to go get groceries in and drive to work or where ever i'm going. I know the drive train isn't quite ideal for highway but a overdrive tranny would be in the future. I'm looking for some insight on price. He is asking 18K. I think the car needs a mini starter and the exhaust made different for me to be able to feel like i can drive the car daily! Is that a good price or where should it be. I'm not looking for a steal but I want to buy it for what it is worth with the market the way it is.
Thanks
Jake

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the rollcage would kill the driveability of it for groceries and all that. For the rust you can go to eastwood.com and order stuff that converts the rust so that it stops, can be painted and isn't supposed to return. You would probably also have to get a tune cause of the timing if that's an issue for you. Other than that it looks like a good car for 18K

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a 502, 4:11 rear gears, and a roll cage for a daily driver??
i hope you have deep pockets cause gas is gonna cost you about 300 a week driving back and forth to work if you live 10 miles or more from where you work!!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by burnt68
a 502, 4:11 rear gears, and a roll cage for a daily driver??
i hope you have deep pockets cause gas is gonna cost you about 300 a week driving back and forth to work if you live 10 miles or more from where you work!!
Boy howdy!....this is not a grocery getter it's a weekend warrior.
Nice car although I'm not big on the paint job but it's a hot rod not a DD car by any stretch of the imagination.
502" big block with 4:11 gears,oh hell yeah I'd rock it but not every day at 5mpg and with the other maintenance required of a bad boy like this.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

not a dd, and not attractive looking, this is a track monster

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

I understand the way it sits that its not ideal for DD. I plan on putting a different tranny in it and it comes with 373 gears for the rear end. I am more concerned about the price. If I am buying the car for the right price then it only goes up in value as I make it more practical. So what about the Price? I have him down to 17500 now! I don't like the color and the vynal decals either. Come on guys i'm looking for some input on the price!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have the money for that I'd say go ahead. If it were me I'd try and get him down to 17 tho. You still have to put in some work to make it a DD tho.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM

I am confident he will go to 17 but I told him 16500. I figure if he will offer me 17 then i'll say well 16500 I mean wha is 500 bucks when your talking about 16K right? lol

Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL. True true.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Well my thought on the cage is I can take it out if need be. WTF do I need a cage for on the street although I bet it helps stiffens up the car and why ruin a good thing. The timing issue worries me but I am pretty sure they have it manually have it set at 30-32 degrees of retard at all times because that is what it runs good at. So that is why it starts hard but once its running it RUNS! Will a mini take care of that ya think? Turn that thing over faster makeing it start smoother.