starter won"t start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default starter won"t start

I was filling up my car today and when i finished i went to start the car and got nothing, only gen light i have plenty of battery power just no starter. this happened to me before but i found the problem it was the solenoid wire it had come off the terminal. i checked this time when it cooled down and that wire is still on the terminal.
Could use some sugguestions on where to go from here, Please help !!!!

Thanks
Ted

Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you get a "click", or nothing at all? Does the starter work like normal with a cool engine? Our starter solenoids tend to not like the heat, and can give you a dead starter symptom when the engine is hot, but will work fine after it cools off. If that's what you're getting, you need a heat shield on the starter, if the factory one is gone. Or wrap the starter with a heat shield blanket, you can get it from places like Summit, etc. Oh, and I'm deleting your other duplicate post in the V8 section, you only need one.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks. But the starter wont start even when cold no clicking like i mentioned before i had the same result when the purple wire came off the solenoid terminal.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you know how to jump the starter terminals with a screwdriver? If the starter then cranks, you have a wiring issue, or it's a problem with your starter switch (mounted on top of the steering column towards the firewall). You'll have to start tracing backwards with a test meter till you find the break in connection. If you get nothing with the screwdriver, check your positive connection at the battery, and the battery ground cable to frame and engine. If you're missing a frame to engine ground, it'll give you starter issues.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

which terminals do you jump to check the starter??? the one with the battery cable on it and the purple wire????.
Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by southw2
which terminals do you jump to check the starter??? the one with the battery cable on it and the purple wire????.
Thanks
Yes, those are the ones.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

jumped them and the start turns over. I replaced the ignition switch because it was sticking in the start position. Now have new switch but starter starts sometimes then just clicks other time. did have the switch hanging down and i noticed one of the wires getting very warm after trying to start it a few times. my sloenoid is right up against my headers. i do have a mini starter

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

want to thank everyone for their help, after checking my wiring and finding a dead short on the wire to the selenoid terminal (purple wire) i decied to jack up the car and remove the starter. as i reach up i felt another bolt sitting on top of the solenoid terminal wegded between the terminal and my header tube. Well the bolt turns out to be a header bolt that loosened up and fell right between the header tube and the terminal. as the car moved around it changed position and thats why i had startes and non starts but the wire getting very hot was the clue of the short.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by southw2
want to thank everyone for their help, after checking my wiring and finding a dead short on the wire to the selenoid terminal (purple wire) i decied to jack up the car and remove the starter. as i reach up i felt another bolt sitting on top of the solenoid terminal wegded between the terminal and my header tube. Well the bolt turns out to be a header bolt that loosened up and fell right between the header tube and the terminal. as the car moved around it changed position and thats why i had startes and non starts but the wire getting very hot was the clue of the short.
When all else fails, sometimes ya gotta just jump in there and start taking things a part!

Who would have thought! Glad you found it!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Nice find! That's what owning a hot rod is all about. I'm constantly going over bolts I've learned will loosen to check them. I probably check tension on my header bolts once or twice a year, and each time I find a couple slightly loose.

Quick Reply: starter won"t start