To scrap or not to scrap this 1967 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Default To scrap or not to scrap this 1967 convertible

Hey guys, I'm brand new here and have a quick question. I work for a tow company and recently impounded this Camaro. The question is it worth selling? Fixing? Or just crush it. All I know is that it's a 67, 68 or 69. The VIN says 69 I think. The VIN tag is very rusty and hard to read. 6cyl 4speed convertible. That's all I know. Any info would be helpful. Here are some pics. What should be done with this car?

Name:  image.jpg1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  345.3 KB

Name:  image.jpg2.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  360.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg4.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  342.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg3.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  320.0 KB

Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 PM
4th Gear Member

She is a rare one - L6/Saginaw 4spd, but rockers are gone it appears.
I'd let her rest, unless you have a lot of time and money on your hands.
Looks like a numbers matching drive train, but still, check firewall as it has two places of stamped partial VIN and if the panel needs replacing, you lose the stampings.
Then you could configure the Camaro to your liking.

But time & money, the ability, and patience in not losing sight of the rebuild are the key points.
Once you start, will you finish her? Answer truthfully.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 PM

I'm not thinking about restoring this car. I was just asking for because the boss has no idea what to do with it. I think it's to far gone. All the sheet metal is paper thin. It was sitting group of trees for what I think was sitting there for 30 years. The engine bay is was full of mud and the interior looked like a flower garden. That thing poking out of the radiator? Yeah that's the water pump. We just put j-hooks under the control arms and pulled. It just pulled the car in 2. We had to make a 2nd trip to pull the rear axle out of the mud. What about the drive train? Engine, transmission and rear axle. Are they worth money? Any money the company can pull out of this before it sits in our year for another 30 years.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Drivetrain probably rusted from condensation.
Top hydraulic cylinders are going to be toast as they are extended with top up, therefore the rod is exposed and rusty.
AM radio might get $20-$40 bucks if it works - speakers will be toast.
Brightwork (moldings) might get a coin or two.
Might get a coin or two for the alternator, its date code purposes - look for exam A139 = Jan 13, 1969.
Sneaky dealers may want the speedo cluster for the low mileage.
If you have a clear title, you might look under the rear seat bottom in the springs for a build sheet or between the gas tank and trunk floor. If these two papers are available, there may be a person to buy the Camaro for its originality - maybe - kind of a stretch.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 AM
2nd Gear member

I would salvage some of the small parts as Everett suggested, list them on craigs list or e barf . then send her on her way to becoming a 2016 something

Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's definitely a 69.
Convertible top frame
Stainless trim
Hood (maybe)
Front nose panel
Cowl panel (maybe)
Steering wheel
Rear axle
Door handles, if not pitted
Door glass and regulators, if still there
What condition is the passenger side door, drivers side is shot.
That's about all I see of any value, it is way beyond being restored. I can see the body drooping in the rear and subframe high in front, which means the unibody has totally given away to rust. What a shame.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have or can you get a title? Here in PA there is a procedure for removing and reattaching the vin plate. Dannacorn sells a replacement body. A titled car could have value as a whole if your state allows it. I would expect it to sell for 2-2.5K. If you can get the title and your state does not allow the replacement body then put it on ebay. Someone who knows the process will bid on it.

FYI I paid almost $1000 for a restored top frame in 1998 for a 67. There must be someone that restores the frames and I am sure they need cores.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

If you read craigslist they would list it for 15,000 and settle on 5 or 6k but in my opinion your looking for an idiot. They are out there and sometimes you get lucky. Nothing ventured nothing gained.. To me its a total waste of time and needs to go on the scrap heap...

Old 06-20-2015, 08:27 PM

We are getting the title but it we take some time. For the time being its just private property impound. I was told we can re-vin the car in Michigan but I'm not sure of the details. I don't think it's worth the time or money but I guess 69 250 6cly 4 speed convertibles are kinda rare, but rare does always mean valve. I was able to take a better look at it during the week. She's pretty much toast. I believe the drive line could be saved, maybe! Other then that maybe a trim piece here and there. Everything but the left rear 1/4 and trunk lid looks to be original. It has a power top, am/fm radio, glove box and ash try lights and center console but the bucket seats are gone. The will boss probably just let it sit in the back of the yard for a few years until he finds that guy that must have it. I'm sure in its day it was a sharp little car in the dark green with white pin stripes.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I still think the title is were the value is. Repairing this car would not be worth it. To do it right it is an insane amount of work. I estimate 18 to 25k just to repair the body. The 250 is not helping your value. If you go to a auction an all original 250 will bring less money then a "hot rodded" chopped up car. Most cars guy do not want 6 but they would not hurt a original car. If a 69 goes through with a smoking 80's 305 they can do anything they want to it you will see a lot more bidders. Yes every car guy there will tell you an all original 6 is cool and they will check it out but the hands just don't come up during the auction.

The condition of the car does not matter for a guy that want a new car. He just needs the title. Things like the convertible to frame and some of the part inside the doors and in the dash have value but the guy building a "new" may want all new. I have been told on this site that swapping the vin tags is not legal and a real pain, then you head over to a truck restoration site and it is a daily thing. Those guys by new/used cabs for their trucks all the time.

Licensed Replacement Body Shells

Last edited by Gorn; 06-21-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: To scrap or not to scrap this 1967 convertible