Safe method of keeping the car on stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Safe method of keeping the car on stands

I have a 69 convertible that will soon have no front subframe or rear in it. How about a few suggestions on keeping it safely suspended?

Currently have jack stands under the unibody frame in front of the leaf spring mounts (removed), and inside the rear fenders on the rear frame (unsteady due to extension level of the jack stands) and blocks under the rockers. I need to be under this thing, so safety is a little important!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Safe method of keeping the car on stands

Get some heavy duty stands designed for large SUVs or pickup trucks. They are built stronger, have wider base for more stability, and extend much higher.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not a pro on restoration but here is how i would do it. (2) 4ft 4x4 along the inside lip of the rocker pannels. Put the standunder the 4x4s. Once the front end is out I would put some smaller 4x4 blocks right at the front frame mount bushing was and remove the floor support 4x4s. I would weld in a few braces tomake sure the car did not flex on me. If you need to work on your rocker pannels or you need to remove the center cross brace welding in extra bracesor building a jig is a must.Last thing you want is to twist the car.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gorn

I am not a pro on restoration but here is how i would do it. (2) 4ft 4x4 along the inside lip of the rocker pannels. Put the standunder the 4x4s. Once the front end is out I would put some smaller 4x4 blocks right at the front frame mount bushing was and remove the floor support 4x4s. I would weld in a few braces tomake sure the car did not flex on me. If you need to work on your rocker pannels or you need to remove the center cross brace welding in extra bracesor building a jig is a must.Last thing you want is to twist the car.
sounds like a lot of work and overkill for something. when we totally strip cars down while rebuilding them, we don't even do stuff like that. the only way the car is going to twist, is if the floors (with the tranny hump) get cut out of the car, or if you remove the firewall. the frame is not responsible for the integrity of the body because it is a separate piece

just put the car on 4 good quality jackstands and you will be fine