rust (I feel sick)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default rust (I feel sick)

I picked up my 68Rs last fall . I could not find a speck of rust any place on it. Car was perfect. Over the winter setting in my garage on a tarp with a new car cover I went to wax and found a rust bubble behind the driver rear wheel (SICK) I don't drive in the ran Its a nice day cruiser only. I paid a premium price for the car it was spotless .Now in the shop getting bad spot fixed. I hope this is not going to turn in to a yearly event fixing rust spots? Maybe I should sell it but I really don't want to. I had the car appraised for 35K . Do you think this is a one time bad spot. The shop fixing the car thinks so.

1968 RS 327 auto with air new every thing. Yes new every thing !(new rust spot[&o])

Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: rust (I feel sick)

probably..just a bad spot that was overlooked when they painted it last...they usually turn up in a year or 2..so if you don't see more, then that may be it.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

the problem is that even a decent shop can strip the body clean and start from bare metal, but the problem is that rust starts from the inside so even if they had a mint looking panel to start with, it could keep coming from the backside

not trying to discourage you here. just trying to give you a little reality

Old 06-17-2007, 07:12 AM
June 2007 ROTM

35k huh then my z better worth 100k

Old 06-17-2007, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blade

35k huh then my z better worth 100k

I did not say that's whatI paid for it . But I can see dumping more and more money with every passing year on up grades such as 383 stroker 700r 12 bolt better this better that .You can easy put more then 35k in to a car.
In north east Michigan classic cars bring big bucks. A classic car dealer by me The cheapest 67/69 was 35K And up from there.

Your car??? her is a web site but I think they are High. But then there is Barret Jackson so who knows.
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...8382&da=-1

Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: skar

I had the car appraised for 35K .

doesnt that mean what its worth?

and yes my 69z

Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blade

ORIGINAL: skar

I had the car appraised for 35K .

doesnt that mean what its worth?

and yes my 69z

I don't know you tell me. From what I have seen in the past cars appraised more then what you realy can get.(find the buyer) And my car is insured for the same.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 PM

proof that there is no such thing as a maintenance free classic

Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Puke, barf... You'll find that Camullets, just like any/all cars that were basically worthless at one point and are now trading for rediculous monies, have had less-than-savory repairs over the years. You always hear to buy a restored car rather than do it yourself, but this is an example of buying something that someone else has repaired, andmaybethe repair is questionable and/or less-than-satisfactory.

My advice is to just drive it, have a blast with it, and repair it as necessary. If this means you fix bubbles now and then, so be it. After all, it's not a new car, and Camullets were known for rust issues within a few years of new back in the day, anyway.... Some of the rustiest cars I'veever seenwere 1st Gens.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iron_Balls_McGint

My advice is to just drive it, have a blast with it, and repair it as necessary. If this means you fix bubbles now and then, so be it. After all, it's not a new car,

Done fixed no more rust. (for now)

Quick Reply: rust (I feel sick)