Rims Tires Carb And General Advice on '68 Chevy Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Default Rims Tires Carb And General Advice on '68 Chevy Camaro?

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum just lookin for some good advice.
ok so here's my history:
My father passed away when I was 11 and he left me his '68 Chevy Camaro and when I was 16 I started working on it. I didnt do much at first (cuz I didn't know ****!). Eventually, I changed all the brake lines(flaring and everything!), changed the headers since when I first got it to turn over they blew up in my face!!, changed the front drum brakes to disc brakes, put a 4 core radiator in insteadof the original 2, gutted the inside hoping to figure out carpentry(which was a fail), drilled out the ignition switch (twice cuz i lost the keys once!), removed the carb(quadrajet/junk) hoping to put a nice holly on there only to find that it was too small and the barrels werent the right sizes, of course spark plugs, new gas tank and sending unit, and numerous other small things. I really need help on this:
---what Carburetor should i put on my '68 chevy camaro with a Target Master 350 engine?
----what size rims should i get if i may eventually plan on taking it to the drag strip? And street tires?
----all advice on body work(quarter panel and rocker panel need to be replaced)??
-----what seats should i get? the seats were not stock other wise i would have kept them.
----the floor on the driverside is really rusty.. what do i do?
-----should i get an electric fan to save one thing off the serpentine? and saay **** the radiator?

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the edielbrock 600 for small blocks--no power valve to blow like the Hollies

Look at Jegs catalog i saw some nice seats there i like you might also

15 in rims as there are many different tires for them--tho the really big disc brakes need 17's

Por-15 for rust or if not bad just black rustolum paint from wal-mart

Some community colleges give body classes -

I'm going electric fan when i get the new aluminum radiator next spring -duel is best--

Hope some of this helps--Glenn

Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM

thanks Glenn this helps alot do you know any brands for racing rims

Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the look of the torq thrust "D" rims myself--tho currently i hacve an old set of Americans--get a hold of a Jeg's or Summitt catalog they have good prices on stuff rims included--Glenn also Tire Rack is a sponsor here they will have any tire / rim question answeres you might need??

Last edited by Glenns-67SS; 10-21-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like you have great project going....

I'm partial to 15 inch rims myself, but the pro-touring group likes the 17-18 inch sizes with the lower profile tires. You can get Wilwood and other disk brake conversions for both wheel sizes, but the biggest brakes require larger wheel diameters. Just depends on what kind of driving you are planning to do.....

A couple brands I like for light weight aluminum/billet wheels are Centerline and Weld, but there are many more... Find a style you like and then look at sizes..

For bigger tires and wheels you will need to be sure of the fitment/clearance within the wheel wells (width and back spacing are critical) and they may require either body or suspension upgrades to not rub.....

Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Am sure your dad is smileing as you work on the car enjoy

Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Chevy Girl... I know your dad is all the more proud of you for bringing his 68 back to life! You've gotten some good advise already about the best carb and wheels though do take care when you size the wheels for your car as can put too much into the rear wells and damage your investment as well as the car (personal experience). About the quarters and floor pans, there are a number of places to get new skins and body parts. The deal is to get the best fit since there are so many inferior products out there. I'd suggest you making contact with a good restoration shop that can send you in the right direction for a good fit. Good luck on the project and please keep us up to date on your progress!