refueling

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default refueling

68 camaro

anybody has had a problem with hard refueling? it just seems like when i refuel, it seems to be too fast. i have to turn the nozzle a certain way and squeeze half the nozzle or it would overflow out the neck.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jeu510
68 camaro

anybody has had a problem with hard refueling? it just seems like when i refuel, it seems to be too fast. i have to turn the nozzle a certain way and squeeze half the nozzle or it would overflow out the neck.
Sorry, I have a fuel cell.

I would check the rubber filler hose and make sure it's not partially collapsed. If you don't have a vented gas cap, or if it went without a vented cap at one time, I could see it easily collapsing the filler hose. I believe there is a rubber cover over the filler hose held on with a couple quarter inch screws.

That's about all I can think of buddy. Let us know what you find when you take the hose cover off.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Sorry, I have a fuel cell.

I would check the rubber filler hose and make sure it's not partially collapsed. If you don't have a vented gas cap, or if it went without a vented cap at one time, I could see it easily collapsing the filler hose. I believe there is a rubber cover over the filler hose held on with a couple quarter inch screws.

That's about all I can think of buddy. Let us know what you find when you take the hose cover off.

cool, i thought the filler neck was metal with a rubber sleeve....i'll do what you said and see...thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

the fuel neck is a metal tube that connects to the tank with a rubber hose. there is a thin rubber hose over the metal one then the plate that protects it in the trunk is over that. I sometimes have to watch it as well when i pump. the problem pumps are the ones with the rubber cover over them. they seem to pump faster than one without it.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
the fuel neck is a metal tube that connects to the tank with a rubber hose. there is a thin rubber hose over the metal one then the plate that protects it in the trunk is over that. I sometimes have to watch it as well when i pump. the problem pumps are the ones with the rubber cover over them. they seem to pump faster than one without it.
{smacks hand on forehead} Why was I thinking of my van?... Pretty bad when you get confused between a van and a Camaro lol!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, so i have replaced the fuel filler neck and rubber hose connecting neck to tank, but problem still there....anybody else has this problem?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

its probably not the Camaros problem its todays pumps. do the pumps you use have that hard rubber fume shield? they will kick back at the slightest bit of back pressure. my 68 is a pain to fuel as well as my pickup because of the actual nozzle and pump not the car

Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah, it does....usually it would just stop the pump from pumping, but instead, it leaks out of the filler neck. so in order for me to keep fuel from spilling out, i have to turn the nozzle certain way and squeeze about 1/4 of the way making refueling a pain in the back. i guess my next mod is probably gonna have to be a fuel cell....

Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Where is it leaking, at the opening or down near the tank? Could be the neck on the tank itself is not sealing. Had that problem on a 65 impala.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

no it leaks right at the opening....just seems like the fuel is coming way too fast or the fuel isnt going down the tank fast enough. usually when that happens on other cars, it would just click off as if it was full, but in this case, it doesnt. is it possible its not venting the pressure from the tank and causing the fuel to back up? is there anything in the tank to release pressure besides the cap?