Rebuilt title/Price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Default Rebuilt title/Price?

First off let me say "Hello" to everone, as you can see I'm new around here. I have been desperatly wanting to purchase a 1st gen camaro for some time and thought I had found the "one" last night. Here is my delima.

I went and looked at the car which is a 1967 Camaro SS (clone). Red exterior, black nose stripe, black interior, 350, automatic. Paint is a strong 7 in my opinion, definitly new, glossy, however there is the smallest (pencil tip size)amount of surface rust under back window. The car originally had a vinal top. Interior is amazing. The car runs anddrives out fantastic. I contacted the painter of the car. He said that he put a new quarter panel on it before paint,but that was the only rust he couldrecall.

The guy whom is selling it started at 20K back in summer of2007, however, now is down to $15K because he's found a convertible that he's interested in. I inquired about the title andhe told me it has a "rebuilt title". He was informed that the car sit for 20+ years in a barn covered then was purchased. However, it did not have a title, so after filing for a lost title they returned the title with a brand of "rebuilt".

My question is how much does this affect the cars value? I think it can bepuchased for around 14K so from what ive seen It doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Any help would be greatly apperciated.
Grant

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
January 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Rebuilt title/Price?

you mean a salvage title ? I never heard of a rebuilt title. a SALAVGE TITLE IS ISSUED when a car has been totaled for one reason or another by an insurance company which will always affect value IMO

Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I agree with MichiganMan on this one, the overall value is diminished due to lack of original title. depending on the buyer though it might not be by too much.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

There is also a "bonded title" different states call them different things, for examle in Iowa if you buy a car using a bill of sale, you can pay to have someone come and look at your car to make sure its legitimate and they will issue a bonded title, which means as long as the car doesn't get sold for 3 years it becomes a real title.
Which state is the title issued in?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

The car has a ky title. Here in KYa rebuilt title IS issued whenever a "salvage" titled vehicle is repaired and deemed "road worthy" by the state police. With that said, I have looked this car over, under, everywhere and can absoultly no signs of damage. I personally know the gentleman whom painted the car and after speaking with him he agrees with my inspection.

I wish I had pics of the vehicle to post, or some addition information but I just don't see how I can go wrong with paying 13,700 for the car.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Your right, at that price, pick it up and drive the heck out of it
I've seen shells, andincomplete cars go for that much.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:09 PM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: gjwiggins

The car has a ky title. Here in KYa rebuilt title IS issued whenever a "salvage" titled vehicle is repaired and deemed "road worthy" by the state police. With that said, I have looked this car over, under, everywhere and can absoultly no signs of damage. I personally know the gentleman whom painted the car and after speaking with him he agrees with my inspection.

I wish I had pics of the vehicle to post, or some addition information but I just don't see how I can go wrong with paying 13,700 for the car.
That is a good price for a decent driver. Just dont sink a ton of money into it and expect to get back. Drive the hell out of it

Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Also depending on the state, the "rebuilt" designation could get dropped during the transfer, and it might be more likely to happen when being transferred from one state to another. I would talk to your DMV before you submit the title transfer to see if there is any possibility of getting "rebuilt" dropped.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

with a car as old as that, it wouldn't bother me in the least bit if it had a "rebuilt" or "salvage" title. think about how many of these cars have been rebuilt more than once anyway?

hell, after the '08 season my '69 will be getting it's 3rd frame (hopefully a Fatman), 4th or 5th tranny, 6th or 7th engine rebuild or replacement, 3rd interior, etc, etc, since 1990. so as you can see, I change stuff just for the sake of doing it. it has nothing to do with bad parts (most of the time). I guess you could say my car "should" have a rebuilt title?