Paying for documentation: What's it worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Default Paying for documentation: What's it worth to you?

What level of interest would you have in learning who was the original selling dealer was for your Camaro? If this (albeit limited) info was made available online, would you pay for it? If yes, how much?

$50?
$75?
$99?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Droid

$0.00

Old 11-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ What a cheapo. I'd gladly pay twice that amount!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

i would match pete and camaro69.....

Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I could easily see this being worth several tens of thousands of dollars actually. I think that whatever the value of a new car is, would be a reasonable estimate on the value of this priceless information.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How can information about a car with a fixed value be priceless? There are many cars out there that have complet documentation including service records since the day it was sold. They normal sell for 10% more then one without. I know the orignal dealer that sold my 68 pickup. I am trying to sell it right now and no cares where it came from.

Knowing what dealer it came from and having all the original purchase documents or a 69 Z28 or a 67 RS/SS might add a small amount of value to an all orginal car and help prove its all orginal car. But just the knowledge of what dealership it came from and none of the orginal sales info on a car that is just a base Camaro would be worthless,,, Sorry.

Edit: the only way this info would have any real value would be if you could prove a car was from Yenko or one of the others that did the 427 install. That plus the right info on the cowl tag would would help prove an orginal Yenko. But even that would not be 100%. Fact is there is 10 times as many Yenko now then there was ever made. They may pay you not to have their info

Last edited by Gorn; 11-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have chased owner history and documentation for over 20 years on the many cars I have owned. There are two views I think. One is the value of the particular documentation is directly related to the value of the car and it adding value to the car or making it more sellable in the end. The other is the owner just has to know and pays what he feels he is willing to pay to get the documentation. Finding the selling dealer is one thing, but finding the original window sticker is another! Would you pay $10K for a window sticker for a $30K Camaro....how about a $150K Camaro or vette?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The real bad part about any documentation is there is no way to prove this piece of paper is even as old as the car. The documents are easily forged. Unlike the title these documents had nothing that could not be copied and modified and aged by a talented 8th grader with 5year old software. In the hands of a second year printing student even the title from the 60's is simple to reproduce.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 AM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I hope you guys don't mind me jumpin in here, I agree with Gorn...just knowing something, it's good...but worth something, probably not.
That's the same with buying repro window stickers, cool yes...but worth something, again.... IMO no.
I know this isn't Camaro stuff, and some of you may have seen some of this in ROTM, but take a look here
Now this is the kind of doc's that bring the $$$ ...and yes...they're all authentic

Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Seriously...I would like to have the original or copy of the sales receipt of my 68. Knowing the originality of an historic piece is part of our heritage and it is part of what make us car lovers. An example would be a normal antique book. If the book was owned by your ancestors, you don't want to get rid of it. If it was owned by a famous person, it's worth more money. If it's just a copy, then you have it because you like the book and not just because it's worth some money.

I dunno about how much I would pay for the documentation though. Like Gorn said, if it's a collector car and numbers matching, then there is a significance towards having the original papers.

Quick Reply: Paying for documentation: What's it worth to you?