New to me 1969. I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Default New to me 1969. I have some questions

Hello,

I just won a 69 Camaro off ebay. My wife was dieing for a muscle car for herself so she won a light purple blown (weiand) Camaro. I was wondering if this air tunnel gets annoying and too tall for daily driving is there a shorter one available or does the blower have to completely come off? And if the blower comes off, how difficult is it to get tuned back to stock? (sorry if my lingo is bad...this is my first carbed car I have ever owned)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something like this would be more tolerable because a scoop could likely go over it:

Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

That is definitely NOT a daily driver. LOL.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Can you elaborate? Do you think it could be removed if need be? She wont be driving it daily, but we do want the possibility of driving it casually occasionally.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Of course it can be removed but is it worth it prob not. Wait until you have it before you decide if it really bothers you.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM

Cool, I guess I have 2 questions, and I didn't clarify them. Keeping in mind this will be a weekend warrior and not really a daily driver. Let me clarify a bit:

1)Are there some sort of air filters that can be put on instead of the "air tunnel" (thing with the 3 circles) to shorten it IF it is annoying? (if this isn't explained right, please see the video I posted in my first post)

2) If it ends up there is not a shorter solution, would it be possible to completely take off the blower and just to back to a N/A motor?

thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darth Menace
Can you elaborate? Do you think it could be removed if need be? She wont be driving it daily, but we do want the possibility of driving it casually occasionally.
Sorry, I just can't get over the fact that your wife picked a "Pro-Street" car for herself.

Air cleaner assemblies could be used.
And as Camambro stated "Of course it (the blower) can be removed but is it worth it prob not"...

Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Congratulations on buying a slick 69! What you have is lovingly called a "birdcatcher" scoop. Yes you can take it off and put on one like shown in the video, designed to fit dual quads. Or, put on two separate filters. That would be a little less obtrusive, but you do get used to the scoop being there to where you put it out of your mind. Try driving the car first before you condemn it.
A blower engine is built differently from a non-blower engine. If you remove the blower, the engine will likely run like a dog. You don't want to remove it.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh, and I looked up the ebay listing. What you paid, versus what the seller "says" he recently bought it for, versus what was originally spent to build the car, I'd say on the surface of things you got a good deal. Also, I'd check with your local laws, wheelie bars are generally not legal to run on the street.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, one more thing. You can also try removing the carburetor spacers. Those look to be 2" tall.
No idea (since I can't see that area) if those were used to gain clearance for the distributor, or if they were used "just because".
You'll know better once you're able to take a good look at the setup.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the buy, nice ride.
As suggested by Cam69, drive it first, several times, to get the feel of driving it.
As said, a blower engine is built 'as a system.' Take out one item and it becomes a brick.

Quick Reply: New to me 1969. I have some questions