New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:39 PM
Default New to the Forum

I'm about a year away from selling my 2007 Corvette and getting a 1st Gen Camaro. Nothing fancy. These cars are good looking enough without a lot of work. I see a lot of cars in the mid $30ks that would fit my idea. However, low $20Ks would fit my budget a little better but I don't see a Camaro that needs some work in that range. They're either really nice or really not so nice. I've been looking at Craigslist, Autotrader and Classiccars.com. Is there any other place that I might find what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Facebook marketplace if you're on FB.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:29 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the club. Good luck in your quest.
Obviously, make 2nd, 3rd, & 4th choices. Read up over at Camaro Research Group

Old 02-24-2022, 06:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The issue is mostly supply and demand. The generation that really wants these cars is older and has resources and there are few out there. Its doesn't help that the car is nice enough looking other people that did not grow up with them wants them also and some people think of them as status symbols. Deals are rare on these cars, I have seen guys put cars up for sale at a good price and just get slammed with hundred of calls. Predicting future value is a guessing game. What would a classic car that sells for 35K this year sell for in one year? 25K or 45K? who knows. Course everyone will have an opinion but none of that really means anything Including mine.

In 1998 when I bought my car I had a friend that was into 57 chevys. He said $6500 was too much for a first gen camaro unless it was near prefect but even then I could loose money. I didn't care I wanted the car and to this day I don't really care what other people value it at. That is a problem for my kids.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-24-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

"Current" $ on classic cars is considerably higher than 1-2 years ago. $25k now is what a $15k car was....and a $15k car a year or so ago needed a mim of $25k in work

My $.02 is you will have a hard time finding a presentable, good running 1st gen for $25k.

I spent about a year looking a few years ago and found one from out of state, AZ, I drove to see/buy. ebay

I hear FB is a popular site but wherever you look, you must inspect the car yourself or hire a qualified appraisal service to do it for you

Old 02-25-2022, 12:03 PM

Gorn... I'm like you. This is the car I wanted in high school. I had to "settle" on a 68 Mustang Fastback. But the Camaro is what I really wanted. I'll get it one way or another. I don't mind making it a project if I have to. I've got a year to research before I can buy. I should be in good shape.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Old 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM

I want an automatic. I see some older cars around that are manual. If I budget a new drivetrain anyway, is it that big a deal to go from manual to automatic in a car this old?

Old 03-01-2022, 06:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimYar
I want an automatic. I see some older cars around that are manual. If I budget a new drivetrain anyway, is it that big a deal to go from manual to automatic in a car this old?
Pretty simple really,more work the other way around.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Pretty simple really,more work the other way around.
What about the automatics with a column shifter? Is that something minor to change to the floor?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimYar
What about the automatics with a column shifter? Is that something minor to change to the floor?
$ can resolve any change on a 1st Gen....if you want an automatic floor shift 1st Gen, buy one as there typically are way more of them that stick cars. Some have been converted from Powerglide (2 speed) to TH300 (3 speed automatics) and even OD (700R) transmissions

Quick Reply: New to the Forum