New Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Emblem

Ill really hear it at the cruise nights and car shows now. This definately wasnt a factory emblem in 1969

I had to do it after putting up with some "suggestions" at a car show. A few Camaro experts explained all the things I did wrong to ruin the originality of the car and how this emblem didnt go with that package and that trim wasnt with that option.

I guess they didnt like the car I explained I was going for a sleeper look with as plain outside appearance that made me smile. That was the key point they didn't get, it makes me smile.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Emblem

Your just pointing to the reality of future fuel options, even for old muscle cars. I would move those badges maybe on the valve covers, or a small sticker or two on the side window glass.

A panel or fender badge is just too much for some (sorry but even myself), to look at.

Reminds me of all the politics behind alternative fuelsI guess. I go to car shows to get away from allthat in your face "carbon footprint", etc.religious movement going on.

So what did you do to get your car running on flexfuel (if you did)and howdoes it perform?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

https://camaroforums.com/m_158814/tm.htm

So far the car perfoms better then before. With the higher compression and only 93 octane in the area, with a octane boost it was around 5 bucks a gallon to drive. E85 which loves high compression is only $3.14 a gallon right now. Cold starts I am still tweaking, the E85 isn't happy with a cold engine. One positive is tweaking the fuel curves I have dropped my engine run temp by about 10 degrees at cruise.

It's about dollars saved for me and equal or better power and mileage. It's not about the politics. The E85 badge isn't there to try and make a political statement or show I'm with the green zombies (I'm not, I hate the global warming crap), it's to point out it does work, if you do it right.

Fuel lines where all ready E85 compatable when I built the car, different filters, pump, and the expected plugged fuel filters until the tank was washed clean by the E85. Any varnish build up is going straight to the filters on a old tank. The fuel system is all ready alchohol ready as I was told from the supplier, electromotive.inc

Old 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

$3.14 a gallon?Thats caught my attention.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frostlime69

$3.14 a gallon?Thats caught my attention.
Mine also. Our first station went in 4 miles from home and that was when I started thinking. When I bought a 2006 Impala that is FlexFuel I started mpg tests to see if the nay-sayers where right. In the city, they are, my mileage drops off around 35% or so. On the highway though, which is the cars intended purpose, I am only dropping 10-15%. I can average 29mpg with 87 octane at $4 a gallon or 25mpg at $3.14 a gallon.

I started learning more and decided the Camaro would be a perfect fit. High compression, don't care one bit about fuel mileage, and a cheap alternative to 93 octane plus 104 octane boost. E85 is 105 octane normally in the summer. It can drop off in the winter to 100 octane, maybe a tad lower since they go to a E70 blend to help the cold starting issues that can crop up.

There are some dangers involved. E85 burns different, gaskets, materials in the engine can be affected if they are older style. Newer gaskets materials can handle it fine. Same with newer FI fuel line.

I've yet to get some real world numbers for power and mileage. It seems to have stayed the same for mileage. I think I average around 13mpg. Power, it "feels" better, but I did spend more time on the fuel curves and ignition then I did with 93 octane. I have the 93 octane setup much richer then it needs to be. Just out of being happy with the power it had.

Again, the emblem is there to point out the car runs on it, and it works. I've had a few funny looks all ready. It gets people asking questions. In the engine bay I have a emblem on the top of the radiator. Can't miss it.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You do get lower gas mileage though with it though, eh? How bad is it running E85 instead?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saint Ebony

You do get lower gas mileage though with it though, eh? How bad is it running E85 instead?
Let me clarify, with the Impala, yes, it goes down.

With the Camaro, it has stayed the same, around 13mpg.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

In your face or not, I think it looks sweet right where it is under the big blue Bowtie on a 1969 Muscle Car!! I bet everybody does a double take when they see it. It will look even better on mine!! Keep up the good work.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

wow scooch.i bet you have a tatoo of al gore. jk...lol