Need help identifying an engine in a 68 Camaro (RS/SS clone)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by RichTJ99
Is it safe to say that a 283 is slower than a 327? The frustrating part is that when I looked at it last time, I couldnt see anything stamped into the engine. I think it was pretty much covered with paint.

I guess being that the guy is a mechanic, shouldnt he know what engine he has? Or better yet, when he was buying parts for the engine shouldnt he have known what engine he had, or is small block chevy good enough information to order parts?
no they are not slower depending whats been done to them. a 283 can run just as strong as a 327 but needs help doing when building a small block they are are basicly the same from 56-88. 55 are a little oddball. but then 56-59 small block heads are different. but when flipping through a parts catalog for a small block will show all the same parts. you have to know what to look for to determine a rough est of what motor it is. im guessing 283 or 327 due to the fact its lacks breathers and a pcv valve in the valvecovers. that system was added in 68. 67 and earlier had a tube the went into the back of the block.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Rich, you need to not worry about what the engine might or might not be, and talk to the seller to get the numbers off the engine, then look it up on the link I gave you earlier so you know for sure. After the fact items such as the wrong intake manifold, valve covers, or any other bolt-ons it has, tells absolutely nothing about what c.i. the engine is or could be. Not that I want to, but I could dress up my stroker motor to look identical to the one you show.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-28-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

I have the code from the engine:

T0105 hm

Any ideas what it is?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

T = Tonawanda engine plant. 01 = January. 05 = 5th day of the week.
HM = 1965 327 365hp, 1968 327 250hp, or 1969 350 250hp.
You'll need to get the block casting date off the top of the bellhousing area to weed it out.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
T = Tonawanda engine plant. 01 = January. 05 = 5th day of the week.
HM = 1965 327 365hp, 1968 327 250hp, or 1969 350 250hp.
You'll need to get the block casting date off the top of the bellhousing area to weed it out.
The seller thinks its out of a 69. I did have a mirror & tried to see the area by the bellhousing. All I could find was something that looked like an analog clock. I couldnt find anything with numbers on the drivers side.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sometimes the numbers can be in the center, or on the passenger side.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM

1969 Calendar If it were a 1969 that means the engine was made on a sunday. Is that possible that the Tonawanda engine plant was open on a Sunday?

Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM

Hi,

So I went yesterday to see the Camaro again (2nd time). It was about 20 degrees & cold as hell! We went to head over to the car & the seller forgot the keys & went to go get them at his shop. So we had about 30 minutes alone & I used a microfiber glasses cloth & a magnet to go over the body work.

The driver side rockers had plenty of metal except in one spot in the center (it was about a 2 inch portion), there was also another 2 inch spot behind the door (near the rear tire wheel well). My friend that was there was trying to explain how body work is done when doing repairs - I don't really get it but while there was bondo - or some sort of non magnetic surface, it was very minimal (two spots on the driver side). The passenger side seemed OK aside from one or two spots in similar areas.

So I had a chance to check the metal in the car. It also seemed that some areas had a stronger magnetic area than others, I am not sure what that means. Basically sometimes I had to pull hard to get the magnet off, sometimes it didn't take much pulling.

I also got a chance to better inspect the bodywork from various angles without looking like a crazy person. There are a few tiny chips/nicks here & there (aside from the passenger door chip of the door which he will be getting fixed). My first visit looked like a 100% perfect Camaro, visit number 2 showed a few more flaws. I would say the paint is a 90 out of 100, not perfect off the showroom floor, but pretty close to perfect - again unless your nitpicking like me as a buyer. I also noticed on the drivers door what looked to be very slight 'dripping' on the paint.

Overall I was very happy with the body but I was able to look at it with my 'in love' goggles off. I am not saying there is a problem with the paint - after 6 years of being painted it looks great.

So once he got back & started the car (the battery seems to be either dying though he said it was new). He went to show me the vacuum headlights, he turned on the headlights & they didn't open. He opened the hood, tried the manual switch & it didn't open either. He then pulled the vacuum hose off the engine, popped it back on & they did open. So it does work but it did take some fiddling he mentioned that's why later years they made changes to the system. I will try this again next time.

We discussed the stripe & he said if I dont buy it he will probably turn it into a D90 stripe (as mentioned here). My problem is I dont really like the D90 (no offense to you D90 lovers), I really do like that D91 bumblebee.

I had mentioned the wheel bearings in the rear needed to be replaced & he mentioned that he had another rear end in his 69 Camaro that he could swap in but the conversation sort of shifted after that.

So I am at a loss on what to do in terms of the stripe. Part of me feels that its not a real SS & if the stripe is wrong, so what. Part of me feels that if he is willing to fix it, let him fix it.

The more I look online at whats out there (now in the winter) the more I like this Camaro. I dont think he is budging on his pricing but he seems to be willing to fix other issues with it.

I had wanted to take it for a ride but we ran out of time during a work day so I am heading over tomorrow with my wife to take it for a ride.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Cool, let us know how it goes down the road !

Jeff

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM

I really must be the slowest buyer out there. I think the car is being sold as is, no fixing the stripe, no fixing the door. 22k OTD - take it or leave it.

Is it worth 22K?

Quick Reply: Need help identifying an engine in a 68 Camaro (RS/SS clone)