Need help getting started restoring a 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Default Need help getting started restoring a 69 Camaro

I purchased a 1969 Camaro two years ago with my father with the plans to rebuild it. The car pretty much needs everything. It does have a full cage in it, 16 point? And it is also fully tubbed. I also had the subframe powdercoated as well as the A-Arms. Besides that there isnt really much. It definitely needs quarters, doors, floor pans, trunk lid, and rear bumper. I have no front end at all besides what i am guessing are skins for fenders and a fiberglass cowl hood. I am 19 and in college so it is definetly a project that will take time and i will be building it as i get money. Last year my dad passed away from cancer so i am pretty determined to finish the car for him. I will try to get pictures of what i have but everything i listed is about it. I would like some direction to go with it as to what to do first to get rolling. I am pretty sure there is no vinplate as i don't know where it went and i also cannot find the title. I was planning on picking up two full quarters and two complete doors to get started and try to get all the body work done first but i would like some opinions as i have no idea where to start. The car also does roll as its on some crap wheels. And it also has a fuel cell in it. Any help would be appreciated.

The only plans i really have for the car are..

-Prostreet
-Big Block - Was looking into crate motors? Pros/Cons?
-Turbo 400 - Already have one
-Low
-Trans brake + Line Lock
-RS Front End
-No AC/Heat
-No Power Steering
-Semi Reliable/Drivable

Thanks for reading.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Need help getting started restoring a 69 Camaro

Here's a link to my project thread. We have been doing a full restoration to a 69 camaro. I found a really awesome body guy that did all the body work. He started in the rear end and worked his way to the front. The floors we good but the whole rear end got cut away and new metal welded on. I have posted tons of pics in the thread so go check it out and I hope it gives you some good ideas. Good luck.

https://camaroforums.com/m_113374/tm.htm

Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First thing to do if you want to drive it on the street is get the vin tag/title thing figured out. Here in PA No vin tage means no registration or inspection.(part of the inspection is to verify the vin tag)No title means No registration. If you had a Vin tag and you where a shop you could get a lien on the car and geta title that way but with both missing its a parts car or a tralier it to the track race car..

Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 AM

I know my dad had the title somewhere but i can not find it. His name was not on the title, the guy that we had bought it from was on it. Is there anyway the guy that we bought it from could apply for a title since it was in his name or would he need the vinplate as well. Thanks for the replies i appreciate the help.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Here's a link to my project thread. We have been doing a full restoration to a 69 camaro. I found a really awesome body guy that did all the body work. He started in the rear end and worked his way to the front. The floors we good but the whole rear end got cut away and new metal welded on. I have posted tons of pics in the thread so go check it out and I hope it gives you some good ideas. Good luck.
Your thread is awesome. I'm going to try and follow it as much as i can. Wish i had your budge though lol.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome aboard,

You are amongst Camaro-philes here. If you can't find info here, I wouldn't know where to look. It would be great to see some photos of your project. It is great that you are going to finish one of your father's wishes. I lost both of my parents this summer, and although I cannot tell you I know exactly how you feel, I may have somewhat of an idea.

Good luck on your project....Orockers car will truely inspire you once you study their progress. There is a threa that you can access several projects as well, just go to :

https://camaroforums.com/m_261563/tm.htm

You find links to several ongoing projects there. I know everybody here will be more than happy to give you a hand or advice.