Need help assembling 67 conv floors ect...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Default Need help assembling 67 conv floors ect...

I removed rotted out floor have new floor ready to install (sand blasted and primed whats left staying in vehicle) question is how to check if its square also need to replace trunk floor. Rear quarters and inner and outer well IN WHAT ORDER do i remove and assemble it.I have all the parts and tools. What is the best way to go about it.(and not buying a shell).....frame rails are solid,rear tail lamp panel solid.Frame rail end needs replacing.firewall out and cowl is in.Needs also to be replaced.So right now it has no floor and no firewall.I have all the parts.

So be for i removed anything i built a square tube frame box to keep it square.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What you are talking about is not a good idea without a complete car jig. The structure of a rag top comes from the Floor, rocker panel, firewall, cowl connection. You get that wrong you and you got a banana. There is a lot of pros out there that will not attempt what you are doing and very few that would attempt it without a Jig. Keeping the car in its original shape is a good move the only problem is the parts you are installing are not perfect. You will need to tack or clamp everything together and check the fit of everything before you start welding.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-09-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Yes your right but i am going to do it and still need help i built a square tube box frame in side of vehicle . all the way in to the trunk.(0ne inch square tubing)and built a box frame under vehicle also.only thing that is out is floor and firewall.was going to put floor in and not tie the rear of it to the trunk floor yet.Was think of removing frame rails first and tack them to the rear panels leaving the trunk floor loose from rails.Then remove trunk floor leaving seat back and shock tower in place (cutting up the new floor not using the portion) weld that in place. then do the wells and quarters. what do you think. thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 19conv67
Yes your right but i am going to do it and still need help i built a square tube box frame in side of vehicle . all the way in to the trunk.(0ne inch square tubing)and built a box frame under vehicle also.only thing that is out is floor and firewall.was going to put floor in and not tie the rear of it to the trunk floor yet.Was think of removing frame rails first and tack them to the rear panels leaving the trunk floor loose from rails.Then remove trunk floor leaving seat back and shock tower in place (cutting up the new floor not using the portion) weld that in place. then do the wells and quarters. what do you think. thanks
I think 1 inch tube will not stop the car from flexing. I am thinking you really need a lot more advice then anyone is going to type on a forum. I am thinking you are about to make a mistake and your car will never see the road again.

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the hardest automotive restoration replacing a fire wall in 1 gen Camaro rag top is a 10. Most cars that have a lot of rust have rust right at the rocker pannel meets the firewall. There is no easy way to fix that. This is why Dynacorn came out with the Complete body. Rag tops are valuble and this is a 12-20K repair. The area is right where the first Vise gripe is.

Name:  CamaroJig.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  Jig.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  5.9 KB

Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks for your input,the car is worth saving and I'll try to save it.I own a automotive shop and know a lot of people who have body shops,I will seek advice from them.When i start the tearing it down I'll post some pictures.
Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That is a good idea but just remember this job is way out of the league for most body shops even shops with frame repair capabilities will shy away from this repair. You want to try to find a full restoration place. I am sure if you ask 5 different restorations place’s how they would do it you are going to get 5 different answers But I am pretty sure they will all involve a jig like in the above picture.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm probably sticking my nose where it doesn't belong but I am completing most of the restoration on my 68 convertible myself. I am indeed blessed to have only minor issues. I have to replace the trunk floor pan and the tail panel. Even though they are next to each other I am only going to remove and replace one at a time.

I have seen a proceedure in the 1968 chassis service manual in section 2 it gives a description of checking the frame alignment. You are probably aware of how to do this already but the tolerance is 3/16". Well I hope this helps you in some way. If not, kudos for taking on such a big job with enthusiasm and a desire to do it right.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Gorn here's the before and after pictures no banana here.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Note; tci front and rear suspension,454 at machine shop,12 bolt posi, and undecided on tran's (manual 4-5-6 speed)

Last edited by 19conv67; 08-04-2012 at 07:05 AM.