Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need help!

Alright, inspection time is coming really soon, and everything in my vehicle has to be working as it was from factory. The only thing I am concerned about right now is the gear indicator on the dash. When I shift from P to R or anything it doesnt move. It stays at park at all times and doesn't indicate what gear i'm in. I have no problem with this but it needs to be working in order to pass inspection. Any ways I can get it working without ordering new parts? is it a easy fix? thanks!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Need help!

OMG your kidding, that has to work for inspection? How about the lighter? Sorry I have never owned a 1 gen automatic but on the second gens there is a collar on the colum that rotates as you shift. The indicator is just a spring loaded cable that the collar pulls to the correct position. Normally the cable just breaks. Replacment indicator with cable used to be around 20 bucks US so thats like18 Can, That so hurts to type.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yup! That HAS to work. Everything that came from factory must work(main safety things). Also, get this. I only have a sun visor on the passenger side (dont know what happened to driver side), and driver side MUST have it, so I'm thinking of just putting switching it to the driver side, is it possible? So what do I need to buy to get the indicator going? Can I just get something aftermarket from in town here and just install it to pass inspection? How do I install one?

haha, I know, our dollar is finally stronger!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Wow, what state do you live in for all of that? I am in VA and didnt need anything for it, and I got antique plates.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm in British Columbia, Canada

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Can't you just put some tape alone side of the shifter and write on it. P R N D 2 1. Thats how the newer cars are. Many do not have dash board indicators. Assuming yours work like the 70 and its a floor mount shifter. When you pull your shifter the cable is hooked directly to the shift lever on the trans lever. Also hooked to that lever is a steel rod that runs up to a lever on the steering colum that lever is hooked to rotating cylinder that cylinder pulls on the indicator cable and that shows what gear we are in. SO ther is no way we can say for sure. Normal wear issue would be the indicator inset (the cable I was talking about earlier)but you could be missing anyone of the parts I mentioned above.