My 68: Thoughts/Opinions/Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 PM
mac
Default My 68: Thoughts/Opinions/Ideas

Hi,

I have a 68, and I thought I'd ask the forum members for suggestions on how to tackle this beast.

Pics: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...cjsavi/Camaro/

A little info:

I know it's not an RS/SS by the vin. When I bought it, it was painted black with gold stripes and had a 4" cowl fiberglass hood. I replaced the hood cause I didn't like it with one that was not a cowl. The guy that had it before me was planning on racing it, and I'm not. The wiring harness was beyond butchered. So, I took that out and I'm currently waiting on the part to get here.

Now, I've thought about painting it just your regular classic black and having a black interior. I like the black interior, but am wondering about cloning it out to make it look like an SS.

What is everyone's thoughts on what I should do. I know it's my car and ultimately my decision, but I also know there are some really smart folks on here that can give good advice. Not only on the paint job, but also on how to proceed in making it a really nice driver.

Thanks in advance!

Mac

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it were mine i would
1. put on a steel 2 inch cowl hood
2. repaint black with some type of bright red either ss or z/28 stripes (clone with emblems to match)
3. keep interior stock looking as is (maybe a better shifter)
4. pull motor and trans and clean a paint everything and clean up or have motor gone through while its out etc...
pictures to motivate you
mine before
Name:  Picture429.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  148.2 KB
mine after

Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Name:  Picture889.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  125.4 KB

Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

paint it similar to this but make the stripes bright fire engine red maybe?? or hugger orange?
if red paint your engine red and so on!!
Name:  1968-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-396-PO.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  82.5 KB

Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Considering it's not a RS, SS, or Z28, I think you can make it whatever you want and not hurt the value. Seems like clones are getting big dollars, so you sure can't go wrong going wqith a SS clone look.
I think either white or red stripes are a nice touch, and I like black on black pint and interior too. As for the hood, I'd go with either the std. hood with the SS inserts, or a 2" cowl hood.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

I am just finishing up a '68. Best advice I got (from this forum) was to build the car the way I would have ordered it back in '68. Mine was a matching number car, 327 with a glide, grotto blue with blue interior. I wanted a BB car. I like black. I like the SS package. I like 4 speeds...So that's what I built. Granted, I kept all the original parts so it can be returned to 'original condition.' I'll say this, I'm much prouder of the car the way it is now compared to riding around in a blue on blue original car. I would add photos to 'show off my ride,' but I can't figure out how to do it!!! Got any advice on that one???

Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Considering it's not a RS, SS, or Z28, I think you can make it whatever you want and not hurt the value. Seems like clones are getting big dollars, so you sure can't go wrong going wqith a SS clone look.
I think either white or red stripes are a nice touch, and I like black on black pint and interior too. As for the hood, I'd go with either the std. hood with the SS inserts, or a 2" cowl hood.
Originally Posted by mike68
I am just finishing up a '68. Best advice I got (from this forum) was to build the car the way I would have ordered it back in '68. Mine was a matching number car, 327 with a glide, grotto blue with blue interior. I wanted a BB car. I like black. I like the SS package. I like 4 speeds...So that's what I built. Granted, I kept all the original parts so it can be returned to 'original condition.' I'll say this, I'm much prouder of the car the way it is now compared to riding around in a blue on blue original car. I would add photos to 'show off my ride,' but I can't figure out how to do it!!! Got any advice on that one???
Yup yup yup yup........do it your way.

"I would add photos to 'show off my ride,' but I can't figure out how to do it!!! Got any advice on that one???"

I use http://photobucket.com/ easy to do and free.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM
mac

I know it doesn't look like it, but the engine was rebuilt right after I bought it. It's been sitting in the garage for the last two years gathering dust.

Good advice, guys. I like black on black. It has a 350 Edelbrock in it with a 400 turbo tranny. So it's already fast enough for me. I don't mind that it's auto.

It really just needs fine tunning and paint. I think I'm gonna go with a glossy black. I just love the look, ya know?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Have you ever owned a black on black car? Just a FYI

I had one when I lived in South Carolina. I was brutal at times. I spent some time in Texas, no way in hell I would drive a 68 Black on black in the day time in August.

Any and all body work needs to be near perfect. I have seen people switch cars from say blue to black. The blue car looked fine but once the car was paint black you could see every ding and factory defect. Even a factory black paint job will hide a lot if it does not have a "deep" shine. I had a friend who welded in repair pannels in his quarters it looked great. But when the hot sun hit it for a hour or so it would warp just a tad where the overlapped seam was. With the black paint and mirror like finish even none body men could see it. Any other color and no one would have seen in a 100 years.

Just helping weight the options. It is tuff to beat the looks of a Black 1st gen on a moon lite night

Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
mac

lol

I would suspect that a few blistered legs is the reason for your reluctance of having a black on black in Texas?

I'd also thought about a Sunset Cherry paintjob too. Just to be something different. I bet that would look really nice on it with the black interior...

Quick Reply: My 68: Thoughts/Opinions/Ideas