Motor Worth Selling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Smile Motor Worth Selling?

I will be picking up a 69 six w/manual on the column. When I first looked at the car the motor wasn't in it. Now I find out he has the engine and it will soon be mine. When looking through all the stuff about. 1st gen, I never even paid attention to the 6 cylinder stuff.

Now I assume there is likely not much value in restoring it to original condition. But before I make that decision I will research the vin and any other info to make sure it isn't some rare car. So when I find out I can follow through with my plan to make this car a pro touring style car, I want to know if there is much demand for the engine and transmission? What might it be worth?

Any info will help. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the engine is numbers matching to the car, you might want to hang on to it. It's worth it's weight in scrap to most anybody else.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

There's always someone who might want a straight six, but the question is how long it takes to find them, and how persistent you are. If you put it on your local Craigslist and keep renewing the ad when it runs out you might eventually get a buyer if it's not froze up, and you don't make the price too high.
I had an original six from my Falcon, and gave up trying to sell it, and sent it off to scrap.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM

@camaro69, I haven't gone over to check the numbers. If it is all matching "keep it" as in the motor and do what I want to the car? Or keep it as in don't molest the car keeping it stock?

I am imagining it is one of the 30,000 built with the 6 manual. If it only will have a value of mid to high teens in a stock refinished condition. I just want to be sure there are not any high dollar 6 cylinder manual cars out there that may be worth big money before I turn it into my dream car.

When I get it home next week I will still check on the numbers and dig up any history there may be on the car.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since plans are to go pro touring, the "keep it" would be to stash the original (if it is) engine away, just because. That's me though, I save everything. Plus that engine won't mean much value wise to hardly anybody else unless they're one of the rare ones restoring a 6 banger car. A rare optioned 6 cyl car? Not rare, but less common, would be if it was an RS.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM
2nd Gear member

I AGREE IF ITS NUMBERS MATCHING PUT THE 6 in CORNER OF THE GARAGE AND CONTINUE WITH YOUR DREAM

Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The big question is once it's tricked out and completed, would anyone ever put it back to a stock 6 cyl. car? I doubt they would, as there's just not much demand for bone stock 6 cyl. Camaros. I doubt you'd ever regret letting the 6 cyl. go away, but I bet you'll miss the space it takes up, unless you've got a huge garage.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, keep the engine/trans in storage and build the car to your liking.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just thinking resale. As a buyer, I'd much rather have the original engine to go with the car, even if it were a 6 cylinder. Once its gone, its gone forever. Look at it this way, since many guys tossed the 6 cylinder for a V8, original 6 cylinder Camaros are few and far between. When you look at car shows, what's a rare one to see? Right, an original 6 cylinder car.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM

It was a running engine prior to being pulled. So what should I do to prep it for storage? I plan on cleaning it up on the outside, Fresh Fluids inside? Should I Fog the cylinders? Any special way of sealing it off from moisture in the air?

Quick Reply: Motor Worth Selling?