Military son deployed, looking for engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Default Military son deployed, looking for engine

Hi,

My son deployed with the marines to Afghanistan and left his 69 Camaro with me. Nice car, but I did not realize how bad/worn out his engine was, amoung other things on car. I want to replace the current 454 with another, not going to rebuild this one and with its peanut heads and such. Does anyone have a economy priced 454 near PA, or with reasonable shipping to PA? looking for a ready to install long block, I have all accessories/et.

Like many out there, I'm struggling financially, but want my warrior to come home to a freshly gone over/reliable car.

warm regards

frank

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

If you plan on keeping the car a big block why not just rebuild it? Unless you are really set on getting a new one, it would be cheaper to just rebuild the existing one.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with cplthomas, it would be cheaper to just rebuild the current 454, and unless boring it out more isn't an option. If the block is junk then just get a new block. i think the last issue of super chevy i got in the mail had a 454 build that they did for 2500 or so, and got aluminum heads on it, might be worth taking a look at its probably on their website.
the article:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ing/index.html

Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I rear that Super Chevy article, but I don't remember ever seeing a price tag on the work, and they didn't completely rebuild it, just top end and cam/lifters.
I'd still rather go with a rebuild if money is the issue. A complete rebuild kit for the 454 from Summit is only around $550, and a cam kit is around $100. Machine work will be well under $1,000, even with a rebore. A bettter set of cast heads will be cheaper than alumiinum, and you'll still be under $2,000 if you trade your heads towards better.
He'd come home to a great engine that you built for him!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Thank you for the great advice. To be straight fwd, as I'm always honest, rebuilding the bottom end is what intimidates me. I'm the type that will take anything apart and repair, but I have a hard time understanding how to overhaul/install main/rod bearings. The piston/rings seem fairly easy, but ensuring I do the lower end correctly is a challenge. Always wanted to pay somebody to show me once. read up on it more than once, but how the book describes plastigage and such alludes me.

Frank

Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

What about having a local mach shop rework the bottom end for you? Call around and get some prices and see who everyone recommends.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Frank, its actually not as stressfull as you might think. A good bearing set is easy to install and the plastiguage is fairly easy to use... just install the rod end as normal with the plasti in there, torque it down, un-install and read..... usually its good to go because you would order the proper size bearing in the first place. You can even do most of the work yourself (engine prep - cleaning - etc..) Inspecting the engine is something you can do also.. There are tons of publication out there you can refer to and save money.