LOSING TOO MUCH OIL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:01 PM
|
Default LOSING TOO MUCH OIL!!!

so i recently put in that PCV thing where my breathers used to be on the valve covers and a week later i noticed a loud hissing sound and i saw my oil pressure dropto zero. as i accelerated to drive home the oil pressure gauge showed 40 and when i came to a stop it dropped back to zero. my gauge has never done this before. so i got home and checked where my oil was at and the stick was dry! no oil on it at all. so i added 2 quarts. i'm wondering how i am losing oil so quickly and what my problem is. is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

Old 02-25-2008 | 06:53 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: LOSING TOO MUCH OIL!!!

You're not giving us much to go on here! Any puddles under the car? Have you noticed any smoke?
When you installed the PCV did you check to see if your valve covers had baffles. These sit just under the opening and keep oil from getting sucked in. You do have a filter on the valve cover opposite from the PCV, don't you? Also, the hissing sound, doesn't really figure into the whole situation with oil leakage/use. Vacuum leak somewhere?? If oil is being drawn in through the PCV, check the inside of the vacuum line for oil. If you think the oil is being burned in the engine, take out a few spark plugs see if they are black.

Old 02-25-2008 | 09:57 PM
|

i bought the car about a year ago and there have been leaks coming from the timing chain cover. when i first bought the car there was a major leak but since i changed the gasket from the timing chain cover it stopped significantly but there is still a leak coming from somewhere. no smoke. no filter for the pcv. so i dont know whats going on

Old 02-25-2008 | 11:27 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is very common for higher mileage engines to develop leaks at both ends of the crankshaft. From under the car look at the front of the oil pan just behind the harmonic balancer(front seal). Check the rear of the engine where it mates to the trans. Any oil in either of these areas indicate leakage. Both can be fixed without removing the engine. Also, check your valve covers and intake manifold for leaks. Manifolds generally leak front and back. You may have a number of small leaks that are adding up to major consumption. Your PCV valve can be installed on either of the valve covers, but the cover oposite of the PCV needs to be vented. This allows fresh air to enter the engine. You should have some type of filtering on the vent.

Old 02-26-2008 | 11:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

your biggest mistake was driving the car home after you saw your oil pressure drop to zero. now youmight have much bigger problems, real soon,then just leaking oil.

you might want to start a new piggy bank for a new engine fund