Looking to be a first time camaro owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Default Looking to be a first time camaro owner

Hello all,

I am a current corvette owner and am looking into the possibility of trading for a 69 camaro. I really dont know much about these cars so i thought i would try the opinions of the experts in this area.

Im looking for some opinions on a fair value of the car in the link below. Also some advise on what to ask about aas far as specs, condition etc.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/f-bo...speed-wtt.html

Any help will be much appreaciated!

Curtis

Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That guy's dreaming. Nice car, sure, but it isn't worth anything near what he's asking, especially in today's market. If it had the original engine and running gear, then he would be only a little high priced. From reading his comments, he doesn't sound willing to come back down to earth with the price. He may have more than that in it if he paid for the resto (if he did), but that's sometimes the loss you have to take if you don't hang on to the car for a long time. Buyers don't necessarily care to hear the "but I have $xxx into the car". Money invested doesn't determine it's value, and i have a feeling that's probably what's driving this guy's price.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Thank you! That's the expertise I lack in this market. I assumed that without the original motor it would be worth less but unsure how much less. He did offer 31 ( 25k in trade and 6 cash)

Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's a nice ride but it still IMHO does not meet Barret Jackson type car that would be around that price. A true RS/SS owner knows good money for a car like that is finding the numbers matching parts for it, which could be done patiently. Not slapping a garden variety 350 (he did say 383 right?) and a trany from who knows where or how much mileage on it. Don't get me wrong this would be a sweet ride for the right person but not for me. Corvette hold value too but I don't think you plan on keeping yours for 40 years and try to get money for it. You can trade for the car and in 10 hears get your money back.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There's a couple of things to weigh over when buying a car. What should it really be worth, and how badly do you want it? Sometimes you pay attention to one more than the other, which is fine. Now, if you really, really, really wanted that car, you'd be willing to pay more for it. And you won't be concerned as much about the resale value if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Those longevity plans have changed on me more than once in the past, so don't always rely on what the future value might be. Some people are willing to pay more to get what they want, just look at the car auctions on TV. Auctions are a little different though. Those prices are mostly driven by buyers with too much money, and big egos.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes but doesn't the quality of work that went into it weigh something on what you can sell it for?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the work does not look recent and the trunk is not something I like to see in a 1st generation. There is good money in this car, but no where near 38K to purchase. 25 tops over here. Remember only thing original on this is the body, glass and roof, everything else has been modified or touched. The market is just not up there now for quality workmanship.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by orocker
Yes but doesn't the quality of work that went into it weigh something on what you can sell it for?
Sure can and does. That can sometimes be a discretionary call though. As long as the buyer and seller can see eye to eye on the quality. You say potato, and I say potato (for some reason, that saying doesn't work well in print)!
I've seen good and bad resto jobs. One was a C3 Vette, which I'm partial to. It had new paint but had a real weird wet look to it, it was the wrong shade of red, and the rear tail panel was tweaked making the one bumper at an awful angle. Try telling that guy that he just wasted a lot of time and money on what was just done. I didn't wanna hurt his feelings.
I can't tell you how many times a seller thought he had gold when it wasn't even silver quality.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Great input guys, i really appreciate it

Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM

Have it checked out by whom knows these cars.I did with my 1968 by my friend Douglass in an auction

Quick Reply: Looking to be a first time camaro owner