Looking to buy a first gen..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Default Looking to buy a first gen..

I am looking as possibly getting a 1st gen for my wife, and we have both gone back and forth on #s matching vs a resto mod I could build with a shell of a body,aftermarketframe and suspension, etc etc. I think we want to go the #s matching route, but don't know a whole lot about these cars and the differences.

Here is what I currently own and WILL keep. A #s matching L75 Vette.
Name:  P6290038.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  73.9 KB
She likes certain features about the cars, such as hideaway headlights, cowl hood, spoiler, etc etc. Are those just trim options forthe RS? And were there any plain RS, or were they all RS/SS? I think we would be looking for AT LEAST a L48 SS, but would like a L78 obviously. I have no idea what the different optioned cars go for nowadays.

The main reason we wanted to go with a #s matching car is possible resale and collectability, although I think even a resto mod or clone willbe collectable as well. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:43 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Looking to buy a first gen..

The differance between 1st gen RS and all other gens is the hideaway lights. 67 had the electronis controls for the lightswhere as the 68 and 69 had the vacume ones. Cowl hoods came with the Z28, although one could be ordered from the dealer and installed by them. SS hoods had 2 fake induction 'grids' ( I cant think of the name right now, chevelles had them also) on the hood. You could get an RS or an SS/RS option, when SS options was ordered the SS emblem replaced the RS option. Z28 was the smaller engine car, but it was still pretty wicked with the suspention upgrades and the 302 mill. Most of these otions were cosmetic as any engine could be ordered with the base Camaro - with the exception of the COPO cars which had the 427, some went on to become the Yenko and such versions. A well kept or well done restoration of an original ALL numbers matching L48 SS will be much more than the 30k you mentioned in the other post. If I had more time I would get into it more, but I need to get ready for work, maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck with your venture. There is a ton of knowledge here and most questions - even obscure ones usually get answere in a fairly timely manner.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. They made less than 10,000 of my vette (vert), and it seems crazy to pay what I paid for my vette for a #s matching car that they made almost 200,000 of.

If anyone has GENERAL price ranges for what options are expensive it would be appreciated. I look at hemmings and ebay, but I think those people dream sometimes.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM

I looked at a local 68 for sale today, just to see what things I could find wrong with it, and what $ people are asking for these cars. Overall the car was in good shape. Trunk and undercarriage looked fantastic. Looked like a nice restoration. Paint was a good 5 footer, but had a very deep shine. Some small chips here and there, but also noticed a bubble (non rust I think) on the roof, as well as small bubbles (rust) on the lower portion of the driver door as well as the outer rocker. Nothing big, but will need patching in the future. Looks like it was restored as a nice 295hp SS clone. It ran decent, but I would have more work done to it. Interior was 8 out of 10 and really needed no work. The numbers I grabbed were:

Trim Tag

ST 09C
TR 68-12437 NOR9897
712 YY

Means black standard bucket seats, built 3rd week september, butternut yellow no vinyl top, body number 9897. Anything else here?

VIN
124378N309613
What I get from the VIN is a 1968 Camaro coupe V8 #9613 built. Correct?

Engine Stamp
V01075WH

The engine stamp was the only number on the stamp pad and I don't know what it is, but is not matching. On my vette, the partial vin is on the left with the engine date/code on the right in larger type. The number I pulled today off the camaro was on the right hand side. Can anyone tell me what this is? I couldn't see any of the casting numbers for the block itself.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

V01075WH = flint engine plant,7th day of January, Could be a 283, 305 or a 350 - either way it came out of a truck in 66, 68 or 69
That is with the info I have , could be off some though, but that pretty much it.
What did you pay for the vette? Maybe you got a hell of a deal on it. I once watched a COPO camaro go for just over 500k on hemmings. I guess it comes down to what you are willing to pay also. So, pay what you are comfortable paying, if it seems too much then move on, ya know. Eventually someone will have a car you like.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM

I paid 39k for it. I think I could sell it for 50k today in it's current condition. I think I got a good deal on it..

Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

man have I learned so much in such little time. I know I paid way too much for someone elses mistakes and work that got left out in the rain to rot. I do know if I ever venture into this again I will know what to look for when checking it out.

By the way that is one beautiful Vette you got there

Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM

First of all, Mike, I have to say you have great taste in cars. I have a red 1965 Corvette convertible and a blue 1969 Camaro. My advice is to search e-bay for Camaros and learn from what you see... but don't buy right away. I found this to be an excellent source for what's out there and what to watch out for. It sounds like you've given this a lot of consideration already, but you have got to be patient. One impusive move can blow all the thought you have given this, particularly if you are looking for an original, numbers matching car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10249/9E09D929706C4CFCB06A707340E23A93.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10249/035FF6862FDF4C34BF62AE3FE395E32C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Hello Fellas,

I'm new here, and I'm also a wannabe. I'm hoping to learn more about 1st gens so I don't get taken when I'm ready to seal the deal.

I know I want a '67 RS with a manual tranny. (Love the '67) I heard there was a 3spd and 4 spd back then.

My question was, what is the price difference (roughly) I should expect for a numbers matching vs and frankein camaro? (Assume exactly the same condition)

And whatdo you guys figure the apreciation value of both are in the future. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make this a fun ride AND an investment, or just a fun ride.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Airborne

Hello Fellas,

I'm new here, and I'm also a wannabe. I'm hoping to learn more about 1st gens so I don't get taken when I'm ready to seal the deal.

I know I want a '67 RS with a manual tranny. (Love the '67) I heard there was a 3spd and 4 spd back then.

My question was, what is the price difference (roughly) I should expect for a numbers matching vs and frankein camaro? (Assume exactly the same condition)

And whatdo you guys figure the apreciation value of both are in the future. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make this a fun ride AND an investment, or just a fun ride.
My preference (and advice) is to go for the "fun ride". These cars are so much fun to drive and own, that having to worry about originality and matching numbers really harshes my mellow. I am sure that there is much enjoyment and excitement for those who value these specifications, but that is not for me. I have had a ball with my classic muscle cars!