Looking to buy a '69, Where to look?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Default Looking to buy a '69, Where to look?

Since I assume most of you in this section have already purchased your own 1st Gen Camaro, perhaps you would be willing to offer some insight as to where the best spot to look for one is. Ebay quite frankly scares the crap out of me for a purchase like this(not to mention I feel the value is a bit skewed), but my search has only led me to minor classic show-car garages that are lucky to have even one Camaro in stock.

Heres what I'm looking for:

No Rust/Straight/No accidents what so ever
Engine and tranny combo is of little importance
Matching part numbers matter little to me

I think this puts me in a rather advantageous position over the normal Camaro buyer, but I'm having a hard time finding a source to search through for my car. All input is welcome!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Looking to buy a '69, Where to look?

ORIGINAL: The Stig

I think this puts me in a rather advantageous position ........
Not as much as you would think. You have a better chance of finding a numbers matching than on that has never been in an accident and straight and no rust.

I got mine off ebay, no problems. I suggest looking for one in your area so you can see it before bidding.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM
January 2008 ROTM

Since I assume most of you in this section have already purchased your own 1st Gen Camaro, perhaps you would be willing to offer some insight as to where the best spot to look for one is. Ebay quite frankly scares the crap out of me for a purchase like this(not to mention I feel the value is a bit skewed), but my search has only led me to minor classic show-car garages that are lucky to have even one Camaro in stock.

I think this puts me in a rather advantageous position over the normal Camaro buyer, but I'm having a hard time finding a source to search through for my car. All input is welcome!
what's your zip code?post upzip I'll bet we can locate several shops near you and possibly 100's of cars through ebay that are within 200 mile's of your location.the rest is up to you to research them

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MichiganMan

what's your zip code?post upzip I'll bet we can locate several shops near you and possibly 100's of cars through ebay that are within 200 mile's of your location.the rest is up to you to research them
here is my find off ebay useing a phila zip code21 first gen camaro's within driving distance 250 mile'shttp://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...flsoZ0QQ_sopZ7

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree, ebay can be a bit scary, but it is an excellent tool. I personally looked at e-bay and went to visit a few of the cars that were in my area before I purchased mine. I actually made a deal in person not thru e-bay, but that is where I found it.
Also visiting it in person gives you a good chance to look at vins/ hidden vins, remanufactured trim tags, etc.Always nice to tell that guy that is advertising a numbers matching SS that he is full of it. On the other hand, also nice to find that generic "69 camaro" advertised to be a true SS 396.
Happy Hunting

Old 12-18-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought 2 from ebay. But you need to take the time to go and check it out before the auction is over. Or if you have a friend or relative nearby(that you can trust)to go check it out for you.I have traveled a long way quite a few times only to be disgusted and disappointed. But, pictures always make a car look better than it actually is in person. I don't mind going and looking at potential "finds". It lets you compare what is out there for sale and you can see some of the tricks that people do to make a car look appealing. You just have to be cautious and go in person. And sometimes you can find a honest seller with just the right car.INEVER send a deposit without first having seen the car in person ( there are way too many scams).

Old 12-18-2007, 03:12 PM

Yea I'd definitely want to see it in person first before any money was handed over, and I'd use some type of escrow service to hold the money until I have the car. The other problem I have with ebay is the limited nature of the ads, I don't like being pressured into any decision without thinking it over for at least a couple weeks.

ORIGINAL: MichiganMan what's your zip code?post up zip I'll bet we can locate several shops near you and possibly 100's of cars through ebay that are within 200 mile's of your location.the rest is up to you to research them
19355 in the Philadelphia area.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM
June 2007 ROTM

hope u got some money with that search profile.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Blade

hope u got some money with that search profile.
Yea I got some ready.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 AM
June 2007 ROTM

**** I'll sell u mine.