Location, Location, Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Default Location, Location, Location

Hey all, I’m neck deep in a ls swap with my 68 Camaro and I’m running into space issues. I’m wanting to use the Derale 13760 for a custom rebuilt 700R4 (3200 stall). I’m running out of ideas where to place it. Was thinking underside below the back seat, no go that’s where the Stainless Works mufflers will be sitting. Then I thought infront of radiator but I’m going to be installing a vintage air system that would place the condenser and drier in that space, which would have the drier lines running right “through” the Derale. I’ve thought about in the trunk, but I really have no idea how I’d run lines from inside the trunk to the tranny. I’m really at a loss for ideas.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I suspect even with the AC Condenser in front of radiator you can find a spot for a trans cooler. May not be the one you note. This one may be a alternate

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13740

or just a air cooler like this cylinder shape. They can go up under the front lower valance

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331000

You will need to fab up brackets for whatever you do go with. What I did but not on a 1st gen.

Mock up a cardboard one mirroring various off the shelf sizes and use to test fit. May wind up mounting at a angle

Old 03-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Thanks SoCal. I’m kinda locked into the Derale as I’ve had it for about 6mo. Definitely will be doing some cardboard box mockups. Just seems like every exciting step forward I end up taking 3 steps back. Loooong process.........

Old 03-24-2020, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Well if the tail wagging the dog is the cooler you have than once you get the AC stuff in see if it can fit in front of the condenser. One thing to consider though is laying a cooler in front of condenser which is in front of radiator will compromise air flow through the front of radiator. That may require a different fan set up (electric) for radiator

Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 AM

Thanks again for the knowledge SoCal67. I'm currently waiting on my rad to ship. I will be utilizing 2 10" Spal fans controlled by the Holley Sniper EFI setup. I'll try and get some pics uploaded once I start moving forward again.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Why not get a regular Hayes cooler and some flat bar, hoses, and fit the cooler between the radiator and condensor?
Use longer rad bolts so the cooler fabbed brackets can fit onto them and use nuts to secure in place.
Next, if radiator has a trans oil cooler, disconnect the top line and route this hose to the bottom new cooler inlet and plumb the new cooler outlet to trans return line.
This routing of oil is trans outlet (hot) to rad cooler, then to new added cooler, and trans return line.
The reason for using the new cooler supply from the top radiator line is, by design, GM fills the cooler from the bottom eliminating air pockets.
The new cooler should be filled the same. You can never have too cool of trans fluid.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the detailed "how to's" Everett#2390!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM
2nd Gear member

Although my setup is purely different from what you are doing, I did something like what Everett suggested.
I took some flat bar and welded it to my radiator support and mounted my tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 AM

thanks for the response Bruce69! do you have an image from the front?

Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't have any good pictures of it from the front, sorry.
That dark spot behind the grill is it.
You can get 1" flat bar, 1/8" thick at your local Lowes or Home Depot. A 3' piece cost me around $6, I normally buy 2.

RS grill 2

Quick Reply: Location, Location, Location