Just wanted to say hi...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Just wanted to say hi...

I know I'm still fairly new around here but wanted to say hi to all my Camaro buddies that I got to know on here, I've been away for a while due to something that hit me by surprise.

Being 51, I had my first colonoscopy and from there, well I had to have a colon resection within 30 days of that due to an extremely large polyp that was blocking 3/4 of my colon and it was filled with cancer.

Well good news is, the doctor got all the cancer and I'm back in action. I'm a bit far behind with testing my new setup on the car, but I did get a chance to take it out to a car show and play with it a little.
So I'll be back to bug you guys a bit more now.

The reason I posted this here is that I got to know a bit more of the first gen guys, so I felt I owed you guys a reason for my absence.

So my word to all of you, GET CHECKED, it might just save your life.

Have a good Friday everyone.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Other member of the no hood club, good to have ya back, and glad to hear everything turned out ok. I haven't had my first scope yet, kinda been a bit apprehensive about that. On the other side of the coin though, I do eat a lot of oatmeal which is a good cleaner-outter, aka roto-rooter for the digestive system.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Let me just say these words to you, Please get one, the test is a piece of cake, and trust me when I say this too, you don't want to go through surgery, it is not fun.
My doc told me, if I would have waited one more year, the results would have been different, I would have had a 2% chance of survival due to how bad my polyp was.
If it runs in your family, you should start getting checked at 40, if not, you can wait till 50, unless you have a reason to go get checked earlier.
I was a fertilizer company too and had no symptoms, it's a silent killer.
You or anyone have any questions, just ask. I want all my friends to become aware of what this thing can do to you and your family.
I now get to live for another 40 years listening to an open headered big block Camaro....Yeehaw!

Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you're doing well. I plan to have one of these within the year and hopefully will continue my 50 year streak of being a "perfect azzhole". As long as you brought it up and have a fresh recollection of the surgery, how long was the recovery period and what kind of limits did they put on you? Also, you said your polyp was cancerous, did you have to take any meds afterwards?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Well my doctor told me 5-10 days in the hospital and I was in for 8. I had a total of 6 weeks off. I came home on ibuprofen and all I could do was take walks, no lifting more then 20lbs. and small stuff around the house. I was not allowed near my car which sucked.
You are not the first to ask about any treatments and because the cancer was contained he removed all the cancer and no treatments were needed. Others asked if I needed a bag and I didn't need that either.
My scar is 12" or longer and took about 40 staples to close things up. I dropped over 50lbs. so that should make my car happier....
Just please get checked, I survived but I know someone that didn't and his family said it was painful to watch him wear down.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Glad that you're able to come back and tell about it. My best friend died of colon cancer at the age of 40. It can get you at almost any age, so please get checked if you haven't already, at least by the age of 50. It is the easiest test to have done to save your life and isn't nearly as bad as most people think it is.

I still miss my best bud after almost 15 years of living without him making me laugh. The only good thing I have left besides memories of him is his '69 RS/SS. I let him drive my '69 and he was hooked. Two weeks later he found his own.