just got my first 1st gen camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:03 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: just got my first 1st gen camaro today

I would go with the new carb. I personally like Edelbrock over Holley, just me. Either way, a new one would give you the chance to tune it how you want it (most new ones come tune allready, you can fine tune them) and peice of mind about having a new one instead of one you don't even know about. The motor is a rebuilt 350, the 750 would be just a tad much however, the rockers and if the cam is hi-po you should be fine.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM

wow i decided to see how fast it will go today and went down the freeway and got to a less traffic area. it hit the gas, went to the120 mph mark in like5 seconds @ 4400rpm. floored it again and the needle went right down and pointed south @ 5400rpm and was still accelerating fast when i let off. engines rated for 6800rpm max so no worry about blowing it.

it doesnt run 100% right though. like 0-40 it sounds fine with a lot of torque. but then 40-80 it sounds a little ruff and has less power when u hit the gas theres less kick. but after 80 the ruffness goes back to sound mean and gains a lot more power. is that a\how the cam is supposed to work or is it the carb?

BTW: i figured out what the stalling is. it started doing it again today. first the GEN light comes on, the car will maintain speed until u give it gas then it backfires. i cant understand the symptons of the cause. but the cause is the ignition switch. as soon as i jiggle the key, the alt meter goes back up and the car runs fine again. it seem the switch kills the alternater, and the battery isnt giving enough spark to keep the engine going right so it slowly dies down

Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM

okI bought a new ignitionswitch/toumbler, whatever you call it. i have no clue how to get back there to replace it. any suggestions? garages are going garges me 150 to do it =[

Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

theres plenty of threads on here and you could google it if you have to. Its fairly simple, go behind the dash, unplug the wires coming out of the switch, and stick a small needle or something in the tiny hole at the bottom of the switch. thats the hardest thing to do on it. than just switch out the cylinder from the switch. I dont think i left anything out, its been awhile since I did mine.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM

im home after a long day working on my car and drivign around.. now im high hell onhydrocodoneand relaxing im going rant some

yes i actually found this thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41359that got it out for me earlier today. the hardest part for me though was getting the new one in, it just didnt want to screw on! but once everything was in its just awesome now, no more stalling randomly. best of all, i dont have to worry bout anyone sticking in just any key to start it lol. now if only the lock on the door would stop accepting screw drivers..

the next thing i have to do is get someone to put on new seals for the trunk. its leaking so bad it aint funny and it aint fair to the car since theres no rot back there yet.. thats going cost a pretty penny i bet =[

then i have another problem with whoever installed my exhaust system. its really hanging down there and i smashed it real hard on the road today when i went over a lull in the road going normal speed. now i think its leaking a little, could be my imagination but i hear a tick noise that stands out on each cycle of the motor. thats sad too cos its probably a really expensive system and it looks fairly new and sounds like flowmaster.. off to cole muffler...=\

it just sucks when i cant do it myself, im flat brokebefore buying this car. and then taking anywhere willcost hundres. i saved $150 todayby doing the ignition myself (which is a 15 minute job for anyone experienced, yet i get quoted two hours to have it fixed!) thank god any moron can do those. i think these old cars are a lot easier to work on than the new ones with all the fancy gizmos..

and finally, i need a new radio. the one thats in there isnt hooked up, i assume its blown. ill test it before hand. if thats working then i need to get a tunner dial cos thats missing which makes it look dumb =\. but i reckon installing a radio might be too complicated for me. i did it once in a toyotta tercel and it was very difficault. does anyone have and advice for that? i think the radio just pulls out the back, i vague remember on a 81 camaro i had a few years ago i couldnt get the radio hooked upso i just left it with no radio. sigh ill just get one on ebay i guess

Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
June 2007 ROTM

try and stay away from aftermarket headunits had to cut some of the dash out for mine.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds very familiar. I had the same kinda thing happening on my '65 El Camino. The car would stall for no reason. Sometimes I could punch the gas and it would move again and when I hit the brakes it would stall. THen my whole dash filled with smoke and I had to bail. Fortunately the car didn't burn to the ground.
In the end I found out what the problem was... a loose wire BEHIND the distrutor cap. It was swinging back and forth, grounding out and killing the engine!
Glad you found it before your dash began to smoke you out.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:15 AM

my situation was the switch kept jumping to the off position, not shorting. i had a 81 z28 that had a wire that shorted in the firewall. it burned out everything, all lights, all gages, and toasted the radio and speakers.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM
July 2007 ROTM

Congrads to you on the 68,i was 21 when i bought my 68 rs(im 35 now)back then they were cheaper...i paid $2500 and it was mint,and it was a steal even back then..
As far as the car stalling,its a long shot but mine did the same thing and it was the gas cap not venting and it was new...it also did it when it was hot out and beating on it,so that made me think when you said yours stopped at night,cant hurt to take the cap off and try..
good luck with your car,i had my car sit for 8 years in the garage untill i could redue it right,i had slapped a motor in it and the car was running low 12s with missing bushings and stock front end and drum brakes,so i wanted faster which meant time to redue everthing,it took time,but is now,to me,perfect....good luck for real,its a true muscle car....
also when i was 23 i traded a litter of rottwielers,a v65 magna mtorcycle,and a 4 wheeler for a 69 clone z28..it was red with white stripes and perfect...,and after i had money issues and too many cars i had to sell,i chose the 69,to this day i dont regret keeping the 68 over the 69 at all,i just regret selling it at all,i have a pic of the 2 next to each other and at the time i had a 86 z28 and had a threesome picture..lol

Old 03-31-2007, 11:04 AM
July 2007 ROTM

took a snap of a pic i have,the happy threesome i had at 23,not to mention the other cars(ive got issues)...the black z28 with my sister in front was also a trade and was totaled by me...the purple haze/berlinetta was also wrecked...the 89 camar was bought for $600(it was nasty)and i redid it completely(purple flip flop paint job)and sold it for 5k,and that wasnt for sale it was offered at a autozone store...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5088/A504E65B8DCA4C71B0A9C69D3DCEDE32.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: just got my first 1st gen camaro today