Intake install - Gaskets Permatex Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Intake install - Gaskets Permatex Yes or No?

I'm getting reading to Re-install my intake for the second time this week... there are several schools of thought on the intake gasket installation.

The Felpro instructions say use the rubber end pieces and use Permatex in the 4 corners and just a little in a few places on gasket to keep from slipping and then torque the intake according to pattern. This is what I did and started car and checked oil level and it was milky...

Some other folks have said permatex the whole Gasket fron and back and toss the rubber end gaskets and just use a nice bead of silcone.

Some say just permatex the water ports...

I have the intake back off and I'm getting ready to install again and just wanted to get some more opinions, suggestions, feedback... Cause I do not want to do this again!!!!

Thanks for the help!

Michael

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Toss the rubber end gaskets, they can squish out either now or later. Put a 1/4" bead of RTV (Ultra Black is good) on the end rails and up slightly on the intake gasket tabs to hold it in place. Don't put any RTV on the gasket surface itself. Then be sure to gently lower the intake straight down in place so you don't ooze the RTV out unevenly.
By the way, if the rubber end gaskets weren't sealing, that isn't going to give you milky oil. Your intake gasket(s) weren't sealing. Is this a new intake manifold, or one that's already been on the engine? If the block has been decked, or the heads have been shaved, depending upon by how much, the intake may need to be shaved if it hasn't been. Otherwise, the intake will fit tight to the head on the outside, but loose on the inside, which can give you a badly sealing gasket with a leak you can't see.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Camaro 69, Thanks! Yes Intake has been on the engine before, I Put RTV on the ends and did put a thin coat on gaskets around the water jackets and torque it down and that seems to have fixed the issue! All is good now Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
4th Gear Member

Good job!
I am one of the Throw-away Group.
Wipe the block and manifold with either lacquer thinner or BraKleen giving an oil-free surface for RTV adhesion.
I don't use RTV on the gasket themselves, including the water ports, whether a laminated type or paper.

I have used general masking tape in an emergency at the track and used the Camaro again a week later due to work scheduling. No leaks.