If it was yours....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Default If it was yours....

Okay all I am in the planning phase for a totally original 1969 ss 396 restoration. All sheet metal is junk but interior and drive train are original and the basis of the project. This is a ground up restoration, everything is coming apart!

I want to add some new technology and upgrades (disc brakes on every corner,possibly led instrumentation, possibly rack and pinion steering, ect...).

If this was your project, what would you do and why? I only want concepts and reasons I will do research on parts later (unless you want to add those also).

Thanks

Mike

Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well first let me say I love SS396 Camaros! You've got a great basis for a start, even with lots of metal work.
I persoanally would retain the stock subframes and use a good set of body and suspension bushings, plus some lowering springs all around. I'd covert to a 3rd gen quick ratio steering box, but keep the stock control arms and steering arms.
I'd also keep the stock rear, as it's most likely a 12 bolt, and use 3.73 gear ratio. For the tranny I'd go with a T56 if the car is a 4spd now, and if it's an auto I'd go with a 700R4.
I'd keep the 396, but bore it a bit to around .030" and then do the usual cam and internal changes to whatever performance level you like. I think the 396 is a wonderful engine, and it can easily make over 400 HP without even building it a whole lot. It's probably 10.5 or 10.75 compression, and I'd drop that just a bit to around 9.5 or 10.0 to make it run on pump gas without issues.
Good luck with the build!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Thank for the ideas! I am wondering what the quick ratio steering box will do for me. I am truly in the initial planning stages so I appreciate any ideas!

I was planning on keeping the original drive train and sub frame. Why switch out the transmission? (BTW it is a 4 speed with a hurst shifter).

Finally why the lowering springs? Sorry for the very newbie questions, but if Idont ask I will never know!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you wanting to "restore" the car, or go with a resto-mod? Having seen the car market change so much over the years, I would keep your original SS396 original...to a reasonable extent. Unless you are doing a bit of highway driving, I would keep the transmission you have, as overdrive wouldn't be as necessary. You already have disc brakes in the front, so you can decide if you really need or want them in back as well. With the 375 h.p., and extra weight (over the small block) of the engine in front, the weak link of the SS396 is the rear suspension and getting the tires to hook to the street. Even installing simple traction bars will help greatly, and add to the vintage theme of the car. It all comes down to the fact that it's your car, and you have to enjoy it. Nobody can tell you what to do. There is no right or wrong, just what's right for you.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Really no reason you need to change anything. As Camaro 69 said it's much more valuable in stock resto condition. Just making suggestions of things that would upgrade it for a better handling car if you want that.
The tranny being a 4 spd is great, but if you drive it much on the open road the overdrive will really let the engine lope along, and save gas. If it's an occasional driver, then stick with the 4 spd.
Same for the quick ratio steering box. It will just make it respond to the wheel faster when cruising the curvy backroads, but if you don't do much of that then keep the stock box. The rack and pinion wont do that much either, and it will really change the value if you want to keep things stock suspension wise. And the lowering springs not only give it a nice stance, but also improve driveability in the corners. Again, not needed or even wanted if you want to keep a stock look.
Whatever you do change, be sure to keep the original parts. And if possible don't change things that require welding, cutting, or fabricating parts to your stock parts, as these are tough to reverse later. The key is to either keep it stock, or only replace things that are bolt ons so you can always go back if you want.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

And one other thing! I don't think you'll find you really need disc brakes out back. I ran a long time without rear discs in my big block car, and never had stopping issues. About 10 years ago I ran across an old late 60's Impala axle and got the drums and backing plates off it for under $20. They bolt right on a Camaro axle and being 11" brakes they add a fair amount of stopping power without doing anything else to the master, or the proportioning valve.
If you can locate 11" backing plates and drums you can make a good upgrade with little expense.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the help deciding. I am going to take it back to completely original. Final Answer! Where is the best place to buy replacement parts that will count as original? I want the highest quality parts that if the car is judged will be considered original equipment. I have been told that some parts suppliers have better parts than others. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

on my 68 camaro i used npd(national parts depot) for most of my stuff. i didnt buy any sheet metal though my 68 was rust and damage free. they were good parts and delivery time was quick. the only problem i had was the bumpers i bought new ones from them and within 2 years the chrome bubbled and peeled. i also bought as much of the orginal stuff as i could. avoid as much aftermarket or foreign made stuff as you can because most of it dont fit at all.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear member

All suppliers supply the same crap, some fits and some has to be modified to fit right. If you are worried about judging you better dig down deep for NOS parts.