I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default I need some advice

ok guys I have come to the decision to sell my 69 camaro. You get to a point in life and priorities change. I love my house more than my camaro and it needs some tlc. When I started this project I never thought it would take me this long....or at least after 4 yrs one would think that I would be allot closer to being able to drive it. I have spent the last few weeks contemplating all of the scenarios of not having it down the road and I keep coming back to where my focus in life is....has been going......and will continue for the next 10 yrs.

Now allot of you have watched me and my project thread over the last 4 yrs restore this car and have seen all the work that's been done to it. I have put about 31k into it. I probably paid too much for it initially seeing how I had to do an almost total outer body shell restoration. There is about 18k left on the loan for it and my question would be do you think its worth that much or what do you think I could actually get for my camaro?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

With the economy being in the dumps you wont have as many buyers as you would have had in a great economy. I think you can get enough to cover your loan, but I doubt it will be from a local sale, or forum site sale.
Best bet would be to list it on Ebay and copy tons of pictures from your documented build. Maybe even a link to the build here on your Ebay auction, so possible buyers can look at what's been done.
Good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear member

Orocker,

Not trying to get in your business, but your almost done! I mean, the finish line is right in front of you and from what I remember, your only looking at a couple hundred bucks in misc tidbits here and there to get your baby down the road. The rest is plain grit and elbow grease.

I understand what it's like to be burnt out on a project, but your so close.

Like I said, I'm not trying to get into your business, but is this a financial decision to get out from under the $18,000 note?

If it were me, and I needed to get out from the note, I'd go on a marathon to complete the car as quickly as possible, take it out for a ride, and put a for sale sign on it for $28,000 and I'd take $23,000. You'll get more out of the car as a turn key than as a "Project almost completed".

From a financial perspective, finish the car before you sale it.

Last edited by StoveBolts; 07-12-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 PM

I would 2nd Stovebolts reply. I'm new here but read your entire restoration thread when I first came. Hate to see you get so close to let it go.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
Orocker, The rest is plain grit and elbow grease.

I understand what it's like to be burnt out on a project, but your so close.
More work than you think......

You have no idea the frustration I have with all of it..

It's like paying for something that is broken or belongs to someone else.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Although I can't put myself in your shoes, I'd still I'd hate to sell that car, with all you've put into it. And I don't mean just the money, it's a part of you by now. I know where you're coming from though, as I have a 69 Vette that I started restoring about 15 years ago. Then life, kids, and house projects got in the way and the project got put on the back burner. It got painted 8 years ago, and here it still sits undone. I have everything to put it back together, and maybe hopefully it'll get done next summer! My intention is to sell it when it's finished, which will be worth a lot more than how it is now. That's what's making me still keep it. But, you gotta do what you gotta do, I know it's gonna be a sad day.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

A long time ago I talked to a guy who once told me he sat down in the middle of the garage and cried asking himself what he had gotten himself into. I myself cried today over my own car. It's been a very emotional journey that started out as a bday gift to myself. Being told it would be easy and having things just fall into my lap. Now I feel left out in the cold. So much has changed since the day we said go.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

O, I hear you but you have brought that car back from near death. You have invested a bunch of money and countless hours of your time and Squids too. It would be a crying shame to sell that car at a discount to someone who will never truly appreciate your efforts. I say if you can swing the payments just cover her up for awhile and turn your attention to the house. If you and the squid are as good at fixing up a house as you are old Camaros you need to start another progress thread. Best wishes no matter what you decide.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear member

The problem is you are upside down on the car, you have more invested than it's worth. You'd be hard pressed to get 31K out of it. Now add up all the labor you guys have put in it, you sell it at a loss, you've thrown the last 4 yrs of you efforts away. You have to pay the loan one way or another, Consider sitting on the car awhile, give it what it needs to be road worthy and enjoy what you have. That's what I'm doing, I can't afford to start any bodywork on mine, so, I'm maintaining what I got while enjoying that healthy little 355 I put in her. In the end it is worth all the emotional torture it puts you through. Trust me, when people tip their hats and give you the thumbs up, you can say that you earned it. It feels good.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have tons of respect for whay you have done. But the clasic car sales are in the toilet right now and the market is flooded with unfinshed project from people who are laid off.

Truth be told you are going to have a tuff time getting your 18K loan paid off. Just do a search for finished auction on ebay for 69 Camaros. You will see, if you look for none SS, there are some very nice finshed, restored cars with no bites at 15K. You are going to have to finish the car or atleased make it road worthy to have a chance to hit 18K even then it will be a tuff.

I warn people all the time if you can not drive a car then assume your going to have to replace the drive line or worse. Just getting the car so it could be driven daily will open it up to a whole group of people that would not buy a "real" project but don't mine finishing the small stuff. Most people want to either do the car themselfs or they want a finish car. Bargin hunters will seek out unfinished project but they are not going to pay near what they can get a finished car for.

I wish you good luck

Quick Reply: I need some advice