I have a 69 I want to make a true survivor car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Default I have a 69 I want to make a true survivor car

I am getting a 1969 camaro SS convert x55 code 350/350 car that my sister has owned for 20 years. Its been on the road maybe 4k miles total over the last 20 years. Its a Texas car always has been its a factory A/C car totally unmolested in every way. The only thing that was ever done was a color change way before she even bought it. Originally the first owner got the car off the lot new as it is but it was originally a white car with a black top and black interior. Well they were really looking for a red Camaro when they got this one and eventually had a total color change done as far as paint goes. Its now a chevy red /orange color which was a true color offered by chevy for that year Camaro SS. This is the only thing that has ever been altered on this car. Its the original numbers matching motor,all a/c is still intact although its no longer holding any a/c charge but under the hood the only other item thats not original is the battery. The only thing needing attention is the rear seal in the tailshaft of the transmission its developed a leak from sitting. The car has spent the last 20 years mostly sitting on jackstands in her shop covered up and has had maybe 4k miles put on it during this time. Other than that its in great shape no rust rot interior is nice and all original car has just over 70k on the odometer. What would I have to do to qualify this car as a true survivor car. We dont plan on doing any changes to it maybe upgrade the tires as they are showing signs of cracking the exhaust is mint. I cannot believe the condition of this car and other than the color change over 20 plus years ago this car is just as it was when it left the showroom. Would this car being in this type of condition be a candidate for a true survivor car. Thanks

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Rule #1 to be a survivor car is for it to have the original factory paint job. That's a biggie. Sorry, but your car is not a "survivor".

Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you want to split hairs further, the car doesn't have to be 100% original to be considered a survivor. There are percentages of each area (exterior, interior, etc) that are allowed to be unoriginal. For instance, the car must still have at least 80% of the original paint. That allows you to repair and repaint up to 20% of the exterior without losing the status.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.